U-77 Survivor Question

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Cunard-WhiteStarLine
Supporter

U-77 Survivor Question

Post by Cunard-WhiteStarLine »

I recently purchased a photograph from historicalmedia which shows the Wilhelm Gustloff and another liner at berth in Gotenhafen. The description accompanying the picture was this: photograph belonging to one of the nine survivors of U-77 which was sunk of the Spanish coast by British Hudson airplanes on March 28, 1943. I am wondering if this was a photo that was taken when survivors were being brought back to port? Were the U-77 nine brought to Gotenhafen after the sinking? or was this photo probably obtained somewhere else along the way?

Edward Petruskevich
www.cunard-whitestarline.net
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: U-77 Survivor Question

Post by fridgeman »

Hello Edward, sorry i can't give you a clear answer, but i have some infos that might help you. The Wilhelm Gustloff was used as a residence-ship in gotenhafen
by the Kriegsmarine from 1942 to january 1945. So it might be that the survivors of U-77 came to gotenhafen for regeneration and lived on the Wilhelm
Gustloff for some time.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Re: U-77 Survivor Question

Post by mightythor99 »

hi,
not sure, but just looked at your web page/link attached to your name. i have something you guys might be interested in, it is a large framed (original frame) of the brittanica, with a brass plaque attached, saying cunard lines......... it hung in a ticket sales office or something from you guys. it's probably 3 1/2 or 4 feet long, and 3 feet tall probably. something like that. pretty neat piece. i can take some digital pictures of it if you'd like to see it. my email address is :
[email protected] or [email protected].
ttyl,
ted
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!