What Uniform/s..?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Gunther

What Uniform/s..?

Post by Gunther »

Can anyone tell me any more about these uniforms?

First is taken in 1933
Second is SS but what type of uniform..? taken in March 1936 of my Grandparents wedding, my Grandfather went on to join the Totenkopf Division in Sept 1939.
Many thanks,
Gunther
1933.jpg
hochzeit2-1936.jpg
Germany33

Re: What Uniform/s..?

Post by Germany33 »

Hallo Gunther!

The guy in the first picture is wearing "Arbeitsdienstkleidung" (as written on the photo). He probably volunteered the "Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst" - organisation (a non-nazi service established in 1931) in 1933. Its successor, the nazi organisation "Reichsarbeitsdienst" became obligatory service not until 1935.

best regards

CS
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Abend CS

Danke Dir. Den Sütterlin Schrift kann Ich leider nicht lesen. Schau mal diesen Brief an, auch von 1933 und vielleicht ist es auch mit dem Uniform verbindet...?

Alles gute,
Gunther
fuehrungszeugnis33sm.jpg
Germany33

Post by Germany33 »

Hallo Gunther!

This good-conduct certificate is quite interesting. It says that Alfred B O S L E R was a Studienassessor (a master grade teacher for higher education) who served for two months in the Arbeitslager Gültlingen (today: Wildberg, Baden-Württemberg). Contrary to my first impression, this camp was organized and run by the nsdap itself, so the service was probably voluntary and mainly for party members. The party organization was called NS-Arbeitsgauverein Württemberg.

It is written that Mr. B O S L E R did well during his service as a Arbeitsmann. He even educated his fellow comrades in this camp. So the 1933 uniform in the first picture was very probably from nsdap assets and lacks the needed insignia obligatory for uniforms of military or civil service.

I hope this could help you a little bit

best regards

CS
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Hi CS,

Many thanks for this - that is interesting indeed and good to link the photo and the letter together at last.

Any ideas regarding the SS uniform in the wedding photo? Here's another shot of it. Year was 1936.
Also Hitler Youth ID which ties in with the 1933 letter / picture as a natural continuation of his services to
the party.

Many thanks,
Gunther
hitlerjugendpassinnen-kl.jpg
hochzeit3-kl.jpg
Germany33

Post by Germany33 »

Hi Gunther,

The black uniform (1936) belongs to the allgemeine SS and not the Waffen-SS. The rank is "SS-Sturmmann" which is equal to a Private First Class.
I cannot identify the number of the Ärmelband (I think it is the number 1). It indicates the Sturm (~ company) of the wearer. Different to officers who wore a round belt buckle, enlisted personell was equipped with box-like buckles, but the insignia were similar. As he was wearing a number on his Ärmelband (sleeve strip), he did not belong to the concentration camp guards, who wore a blank "sleeve strip".

I hope that helps a little bit.

best regards

CS
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

If you would like to know, he was KIA on May 8, 1942 at Kirillowtschina, Russia.
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Many thanks CS! - very useful info - the number on his sleeve is a '2' whatever that denotes

Richard - thanks for the info re his death, can I ask where you found this information as I have been searching for an official record somewhere - all I have is his Wehrpass stating this but to see it from another source would be really helpful - if you can advise - many thanks
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Gunther wrote:Many thanks CS! - very useful info - the number on his sleeve is a '2' whatever that denotes

Richard - thanks for the info re his death, can I ask where you found this information as I have been searching for an official record somewhere - all I have is his Wehrpass stating this but to see it from another source would be really helpful - if you can advise - many thanks
Gunther - this information comes from the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. I strongly recommend you to fill out a tracing request at the WASt (Deutsche Dienststelle). They can provide you, when in archive, with more information / documents.
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Thanks Richard - I have put in a request to the Volksbund who had no records of him and passed the information on to Berlin and the organisation you mentioned in your post. Do you have direct access or copies of these records as you had the information to hand...am intrigued that's all! Will put in my request today. Thanks again, Gunther
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Gunther wrote:Thanks Richard - I have put in a request to the Volksbund who had no records of him and passed the information on to Berlin and the organisation you mentioned in your post. Do you have direct access or copies of these records as you had the information to hand...am intrigued that's all! Will put in my request today. Thanks again, Gunther
Sorry Gunther this is all info I could find.
(his body was never recovered)
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Thanks Richard, am slightly shocked by your last statement about his body as I have photograph of his grave and all of his personal effects were returned to my grandmother....I will see what the WASt have on record.
all the best,
Gunther
gefallengrab-sm.jpg
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Gunther wrote:Thanks Richard, am slightly shocked by your last statement about his body as I have photograph of his grave and all of his personal effects were returned to my grandmother....I will see what the WASt have on record.
all the best,
Gunther
gefallengrab-sm.jpg
Gunther, with not recovered I meant the exhumation and reburial to a German Military Cemetery, the field grave (on your photograph) was not yet discovered.

Are there more photographs, I tried to find "Schneiderbauer" but couldn't find any info.
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Not sure I have any of the graves, have plenty of the French Campaign and all sorts of others! will have a look and post some more
thanks for explanation re 'recovery' of body
Gunther

Post by Gunther »

Here is another unusual (to me) uniform - my Grandfather is far right holding the newspaper - this was in the early 30s I think,
does anyone know what uniform it is...? Many thanks,
Gunther