Fakes

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Fakes

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I sure hope that Kettenhund doesn't actually have to chase anybody!!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

now, come on................ those arent porta cabins,.......... those are,........... medical facilities, for the wounded,.... and that big fat ass, .... why,... that's sgt shultz,.......... who later became a tv hero, in hogan's hero's,............. same double chin,... and fine fitting helmet,.......... he WAS a little fatter, back during the war, but remember,..... fat people are strong, so HE got double, or triple rations, just because he was big enough to take it away from some of the freshmen...............
(i can call OTHER people fat, cause i'm fat myself! just ask the LAST guy who called me fat,.... i can take a joke........ of course, HE wont be calling me "fat" again,.......... but i can take it, he he).
there are lots of photos coming out of europe that are fakes, they take old photo paper, and make a new negative, of an old image, and play around with their dark room chemicals, you can tell some of them, because they have not/can not get the image centered correctly on the borders of the paper. the other thing some of those rat bastards are doing now, is taking a "real" nazi photo album, plucking out the "good" pictures of people, places, and things, and gluing in generic pictures, that dont match up with the captions left from the old photos. making a totally screwed up worthless album, in my opinion. i look them over pretty good before i drop the cash on em any more. i can kind of understand plucking photos out of them, and selling them seperately, to make extra cash, make ME not want to buy the album, but someone else will still buy em,.......... but gluing in other photos, that are totally unrelated,........ that's unethical, in my opinion. i wont buy a second time, from anyone who does that.
there are real albums that still sell on ebay, you just havef to watch for them. cant just go by the "these belonged to my grandfather" bullshit line any more,........ it's like anything else,.... you dont just walk onto a car lot, and say, "i'll buy any car, just get me qualified for payments",...... you let THEM do that to you...............
:-)
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

the other thing some of those rat bastards are doing now, is taking a "real" nazi photo album, plucking out the "good" pictures of people, places, and things, and gluing in generic pictures
Oh yeah, but that hasn't just been lately but in the last ten years, and not just from Europe but right here in the good old
USA.
Annelie

Post by mightythor99 »

yep! i'd agree with that. but i heard there is a guy, who walks the isles of the shows in germany, with a SHOPPING
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

yep! i'd agree with that. but i heard there is a guy, who walks the isles of the shows in germany, with a SHOPPING CART full of fake photos,.... just made for gluing into albums, etc. bastard. someone should break his arms and legs..............
i bought some of the fake post card style,.... learned a LOT by putting them next to original ones.......... if you are just flipping through them, they look original , if you have originals next to them, you can tell that somethin' just isnt "right".
i set up next to a guy who was selling them, and i picked out a pile of them......... and did some trading. traded "good" for bad........ so to speak. when i got home, i had bought one death notice from him, that was real,.... and one of hte photos i had bought, was of an SS guy,........... whos' name MATCHED the death notice,.... but THAT guy was army.......... hhhhhhhhhmmmmm................. made me look at everything, then really got looking, and .... what can you say. next show i did, that that person was at, he had slipped and fell, going into the hotel, and had a broken leg,...... had to go to the hospital, in kentucky,.... and was grumbling and crying about it,... wanted to say, "served you right, you bastard", but didnt. oh well,... it's only money......... right?
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

its a shame that there is so much fake,as well in europe as in the rest of the world,there is a load of gear and stuff now coming from eastern europe,its hard sometimes to see its fake or real,when its too good to be true,and fairly priced,its a big chance its fake,i bought some fake stuff too,some say its fake,others dont and it brings a dark shadow over the wonderfull world of collectors everywhere,with stuff getting 60+years old and much money to gain from it,its a heaven for fakers,those people will always be around so dont get pissed about it,be smarter and check all details!!

Seb
united we stand,divided we fall
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

afraid it's going to just happen............. i heard that people were faking ancient roman stuff,........... because... there was a market for it, after rome fell,...... there was tons of that stuff "dropped", all over that part of the world,... and they made fakes, because people wanted it! same thing with the "evil" nazi stuff. plenty of it around. one of my friends says that "there was no 3rd reich", because everything is fake! he he
:D :shock: :shock:
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Are you sure he 'slipped' and fell??Or did karma catch up to him?? @{ ---bil
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

in the words of bart simpson........ famous cartoon,..... "didnt see me, cant provie it, I DIDNT DO IT...."
:-)
Nicolai
Supporter

Post by Nicolai »

Speaking of fakes, this guy seems to have bought more than a non-originals. Not necessarily re-enactors, but..
Thank you very much foryour help getting these here. I will give proper commentaries on them tomorrow. One pic in particular I dowant to brag about-is the one that has two German Sergeants w/ MP-40s hiding behind rubble. This is a well-documented and printed photograph in several books about The Eastern Front as well as Stalingrad. This photo IS a Stalingrad combat photo.

If anyone has the book Stalingrad: Cauldron of Fire--my picture is on its cover. This photograph is THE original-and is in snapshot photo size-or appx 3 x 2 inches in size. Be back tomorrow w/ more and better info.

A combat photo? More like a copy of a staged propaganda photo. :D
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

Yes, of course it is a propaganda photo but this one seems to have been taken near the front line as the man on the left has just emptied his magazine after a burst of fire(look at his MP, the magazine is open). This is a very well known photo which had been published in the sixties for the first time.
Nicolai
Supporter

Post by Nicolai »

Yes, it's a very well known propaganda photo taken by PK Geller. Jason Mark's excellent photo book on Stalingrad has a lot of interesting info about it, including a series of photos taken by PK Sautter that show it being staged. (They were both part of a three-man press team from Panzer-Propaganda-Kompanie 694) The two NCOs (a third, armed with a PPSh41, is out of frame) from 24.Pz.Div. were part of a small patrol in the process of "bringing back Soviet stragglers (military age males) caught in a sweep of the area". The book states that the area (tram lines west of the southern railway station) was very quiet at the time, so it seems unlikely that it was particularly close to the front line.

Anyway, my point was more that this fellow has probably bought an artificially weathered copy (ie. not even a period copy) of a staged propaganda photo, which is pretty funny. If you have a look at his thread there's also an artificially weathered post-war photo of a knocked-out tank. I get the impression that there are tons of "original" photos such as these on eBay.
john123

Post by john123 »

I am 60% sure this is a fake...

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I dunno...the MG42 makes me wonder..... :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

That looks like the stereotypical fat-reenactor candid shot maybe taken with a period camera. The fact that they have that portly kettenhund right smack in the middle of that shot makes me doubt it was meant to deceive. If I were out to scam somebody I'd at least look for believable reenactors. :roll: