Arnhem photos

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

TAS1944

Arnhem photos

Post by TAS1944 »

I need some help finding some German Officers photos..

Here is the list they were all on the Western side of the perimeter at Oosterbeek

Bartsch
Hink All Three School
Einenkel

Then
SS Schulz and SS Oelkers and the last one SS Eberwein

Any help would be Great

Regards
TAS
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Have you tried the Imperial War Museum's photograph collection yet? It's quite extensive and the staff there are very helpful.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
TAS1944

Arnhem photos

Post by TAS1944 »

Hello Patrick

Yes I know about the Museum.. And your right they do cost some and I run my own site which is the reason for asking.. I haved some out of Robert Kershaw's It Never Snows .. But they are mostly Eastern side German Officers..

But thanks for the Inform

Regards
TAS
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

I haved some out of Robert Kershaw's It Never Snows .. But they are mostly Eastern side German Officers..
Just to clarify on TAS1944 post, he means he has pictures of the Germans on the Eastern Side of the Oosterbeek (Arnhem) Pocket...eg 9SS Pz Div Officer etc.

He is specifically looking for pictures of Officers from General Von Tettau's Kampfgruppe. I know this as I have provided some information already and I too am looking for the same photos.

However, to be more specific and add to TAS1944 post, does anyone have any pictures of the Staff (officers) from the 'Unterführerschule Arnheim' (NCO School Arnhem) around the period July - Sept 1944 where most of TAS1944 specific soldiers are from. Also photos of the officers from the WachBattalion III 'Nordwest' around the same time. Some more detail on the people are:

1. SS-Hauptscharführer Ernst Bartsch (4 Kp./SS-Wachbattalion III ‘Nordwest’ )

2. SS-Obersturmführer Karl Hink (3 Kp./SS-Wachbattalion III ‘Nordwest’ )

3. SS-Hauptscharführer Einenkel (HvyWpns Kp./SS-Wachbatalion III ‘Nordwest’ )

4. SS-Sturmbannführer?? Gunther Schulz (CO 1-4 Kps of SS-Unterführerschule 'Arnheim')

5. SS-Hauptsturmscharführer?? Heinrich Oelkers (CO 1-4 Kps of SS-Unterführerschule 'Arnheim' after Schulz took command of whole Regiment (school of 8 kps) ). Oelkers was also the Adj.I./Pol.Rgt.3 in 1942 as a SS-Obersturmführer.

6. SS-Sturmbannführer Eugen Eberwein (CO 5-8 Kps of SS-Unterfuhrerschule Arnheim')

I know TAS1944 wont mind me adding this information as it may help others try and track down the photos we are looking for. Be aware, if you do provide a photo then full credit will be provided in the research. Any information what so ever will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Peter

Post by Peter »

WOW:- I am also looking for the same photographs for year now for my research about the 'westgruppe'!
By the way:- I contacted Schulz some years ago, before he passed away, and he didn't have photographs of himself in uniform, so that will be a difficult one to get. Nevertheless any photo's of Eberwein, Oelkers and Schulz will be MOST welcome....
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Peter,

I find that absolutely amazing that Schultz did not have a photo of himself in uniform....I guess they were all destroyed at the end of the war.....is there anywhere in the world where you can submit a specific name and get a photo of that person???
Revellations

Peter

Post by Peter »

I have send a request to the Bundez Archive in Berlin. Haven't heard of them yet but its possible that I have to ask a local researcher doing the search against payment.
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Peter,

Thanks for that...hopefully you here back soon...I look forward to your response either via here, Pm or ABRG post.....thanks
Revellations

TAS1944

German Photos

Post by TAS1944 »

Hi Rev and Peter

I can also try the IWM over here see if they have anything...
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Tas1944,

That would be good........thanks. I look forward to the results.
Revellations

haen1
Supporter

photos

Post by haen1 »

Revellations wrote:Peter,

I find that absolutely amazing that Schultz did not have a photo of himself in uniform....I guess they were all destroyed at the end of the war.....is there anywhere in the world where you can submit a specific name and get a photo of that person???
As far as the Dutch SS volunteers were concerned; all or at least most of their stuff was confiscated upon surrender, or later ransacked from the camps by "militair gezag" troops.
My photos , Wehrpass, soldbuch, etc. all disappered; they probably will surface some day on e-Bay :shock: :(
There were a few photos my family had, but god forbid that they should have ever been seen by someone, so they also are "footshie" :wink:
So all I have is a passport (soldbuch) photo, graciously sent to me with a TWO different copies of my stammkarte, by the NIOD.
Oh well :?
HN

PS. There also was another officer involved at Arnhem; Hauptsturmführer Fritz Ziegler, who relieved Sturmbannführer Paul Helle of his command, for the last few days of the battle. HN