Looking fo 8.8 cm canon

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

KGM, I guess you caused some confusion when you specifically refered to the "dreaded 88", which was the 8.8cm FlaK gun in its AT role.
Former member
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

In the words of Howard Stern's father "I told you not to be stupid you moron!!!" Thanks Timo.........................."It hits what you point it at".......................................... :shock:
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

ratdog wrote:In the words of Howard Stern's father "I told you not to be stupid you moron!!!" Thanks Timo.........................."It hits what you point it at".......................................... :shock:
not sure why ratdog continually insults me. however, i agree that the 8.8 cm was later converted as a full time at gun. the earlier versions, which were flak canon, were also effective against russian and allied armor. these later canons, contrary to ratdogs website, were no longer refered to as "flak" canon

the british, similarly had swedish bofors guns, which should have been used as anti tank guns in the desert campaign.

the gun i want is the anti tank gun, or if you prefer, the 8.8 cm KwK 42 L56 tank gun the tiger tank utilized as its main armament

cheers

p.s. notice that i am not allowing ratdog to promulgate a flamewar
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

KampfgruppeMeyer wrote:(...)however, i agree that the 8.8 cm was later converted as a full time at gun. the earlier versions, which were flak canon, were also effective against russian and allied armor.
KGM, please read again my entry in this thread about the PaK43 and the 8.8cm FlaK 36/37. The gun used was not the same. Also, you write: "the earlier versions, which were flak canon, were also effective against russian and allied armor" is an understatement. It was the FlaK version that was effective against enemy armor. The PaK43, the AT gun you desire, entered the war to late and to few were made to have any successful impact. The FlaK 36/37 was the "dreaded 88", not the PaK43.
Timo wrote:KGM is right. I guess you mean the 8.8cm PaK43, which was basically a two wheeled version of the 88mm KwK 43 L71 tank gun used in the Königstiger.

The FlaK gun in the above photo evolved into the 88mm KwK 42 L56 tank gun used in the Tiger.

However, the "dreaded 88" feared by the allied was, as ratdog says, the 8.8cm FlaK gun used in an AT role in France 1940, the Lybian desert, etc.
Anyway, given the fact that only few were made, I doubt any are for sale.
Former member
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

Dude, that wasn't aimed at you, just something that sounded funny!!!! Lighten up and I'm over and out..........................
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

thanks timo. maybe i was wrong
behblc
Associate

Post by behblc »

Have just bought an 88mm round from a gent in Channel Islands.....the gun will have to wait ! :wink:
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
behblc
Associate

Mr88mm

Post by behblc »

I have since recieved the 88mm round from Damien (Horn).
My eldest girl walked past it when she got in from school and five minutes later I heard the loud " What the hell is that Dad !....you are not keeping it there !"
When she asked I told her the gun was coming tomorrow....she almost , almost believed me for about 0.5 seconds.
Point is actually serving the 88 must have been a physically hard job , even without the explosive charge and propellant charge the round is heavy , bad enough in the open but in a tank ...hard physical work and hell on the eardrums , not to mention the respiratory tract.

The Pak 43.....there is a well known photo of one being man handled into position by a number of soldiers in greatcoats...the gun must have been an absolute curse to work with on a daily basis.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

ja i'll bet. but the germans are tough, so no biggie
behblc
Associate

But.......

Post by behblc »

If suddently time transported you backwrads and you were one of the poor sods wearing a heavy greatcoat , helmet a size too big, soaked to te skin , freezing, if you looked at the brute of gun and said , this si no "biggie" or this sad great gun your mates would probably have something to say to you , and not very polite either ! :wink:
A.E. Housman.

KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

True, but none the less, we would be true aryans and accomplish our mission.............oooooooghraaah!!!!!!