Very large 5.Gebirgs-Division collection for sale

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Very large 5.Gebirgs-Division collection for sale

Post by Jason Pipes »

I am going to be selling my large collection from the 5.Gebirgs-Division.

The collection consists of the photos, maps, documents and papers from a known artillery officer in the unit. He was on the staff of the artillery regiment and served with the division from it's formation in 1940, taking part in the Campaign in Greece, the Invasion of Crete, the fighting on the Eastern front outside of Lenningrad and the Wolchow region, Mount Cassino in Italy, and in 1945 the Italian/French Alps.

I haven't done a recent count but the number of photos number well over 1000. The photos are all orginal and trace the history of the division from it's formation and through all of the above mentioned campaigns. There are numerous candid combat photos (not staged or PK style photos) from the breeching of the Metas Line in Greece, the naval flottila for the invasion of Crete, the fighting on Crete, the brutal and bitter fighting outside Lenningrad, and the positions in high mountains of the French Alps in 1945. Needless to say the content of the photo collection is absolutely stunning taking into consideration the topic, the scope, the completeness, and the quality. All photos are stored in archival quality photo holders and binders for easy viewing, storage, and long term safety.

There are 8 large scale, original period German operational and tactical maps of the Lenningrad/Wolchow region with hand written artillery registration marks, unit placements and movements, etc. These maps alone are a treasure trove but when connected directly to the division, the regiment, and the officer in charge they are even more stunning.

The documents include personal correspondence from the officer, correspondence with his living relatives in Germany today (the officer died in past 15 years), documents from his duties as a staff officer, a few original regimental daily situation reports from the Lenningrad Front, and more.

The books include 3 rare unit histories on the 5.Gebirgs-Division, including one specifically about the artillery regiment.

Modern documents include extensive archival material I have gathered over the past 8 years on the history of the 5.Gebirgs-Division.

Other items in this collection include a number of original death notices from members of the division killed in Greece, Crete, the Eastern Front near Lenningrad, and the Alps in 1945.

Lastly also included is a stunning larger format glass plate negative of a highly decorated German Gebirgsjaeger in his uniform with Crete cuff title and numerous other awards.

As you can see this collection is extensive in scope, size, detail, and context. I will not break this collection up.

I am asking $4000 for the collection. I will entertain offers, especailly from individuals serious about using this material to finish the book I was hoping to publish.