Color Combat film

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
werwulf

Color Combat film

Post by werwulf »

Hello all,
What year did Combat Correspondents start using color? I picked up a DVD set on WWII in color. The problem is the it starts at Dunkirk. Is this real color footage or colorized?
Thanks.
Dave
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Not sure specifically about the use of color film in combat, but I've seen color footage of the Nuremburg rallies, so it existed prior to 1939.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
r. burns

Post by r. burns »

Color motion pictures were filmed by using a large camera running three strips of film simultaneously. That's the Technicolor process. Not really suitable for actual combat footage and expensive to boot. The Wizard of Oz was filmed using the Technicolor process.
Hollywood director George Stevens took his own color camera to North Africa and Western Europe. Personal film only as the Army required all official motion pictures be filmed in 35mm black and white. The reason was black and white could be shown in movie theaters world wide where color couldn't.
Stephens sent his color film back to Hollywood for processing. It was taken with his personal 16mm camera using Kodachrome film.
ak74u
Supporter

Post by ak74u »

there is possible to "re-colour" B/W film. There is a series on Discovery called Battlefield that does that, alot of the clips used in that series is shown in B/W in the World at war series
nande Sakura chan