Rivalries between Panzer troops and Infantry?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Abwehr
Contributor

Rivalries between Panzer troops and Infantry?

Post by Abwehr »

What was the attitude of one toward the other, in general?

Was it of contempt for the foot soldier and jealously toward the tanker, or was it a mutual respect? How did these sentiments evolve during the war?

Thanks!
joscha
WWII Vet

Rivalry? Contempt? BS!

Post by joscha »

While those of us who were in Panzer units were proud to be, we never had contempt for the poor Landser who, after all, was supported by us; both the in attack and in the defense.

The morale in a Panzer unit was in part based on the perceived and actual fact that we were an elite. This, however, never caused contempt for the infantry. Certainly, there was a knowledge that "we are better than you", but that was not in the sense of, "we are aristocracy", but more in the sense of , "you poor !@#$%^&*()are even more miserable than we are". And, of course, there also was the knowledge that WE handled the most sophisticated weapons on the battlefields.

Speaking for myself, I tasted infantry life, and was more than happy to get into armor. The feeling of "elite" was so great that the Panzer units never had to draft; every one of us was avolunteer - down to the last day of the war (as did the paratroopers and the U-boats!).

There may have been sporadic jealosy of the Landser for the oh so "easy life" of a Panzer man, but that turned swiftly when he saw a burned out tank with guys hanging dead from the hatches, with the stench of fried human hanging in the air. And there also was the feeling of claustrophobia among many infantry men....

Whatever gave you THAT idea? I would be interested to hear from Rudi Salvermoser on this, and also from Ha En. Joscha
Rob S.
Supporter

Post by Rob S. »

I would imagine what period in the war would also make a difference. I'm sure early war panzer crewmen pissed their pants when they saw a T-34. Another thing to consider is that infantry can conceal themselves from almost anything except artillery. Tanks are prone to air-strikes, flame throwers, satchel charges, AT rifles, rifle grenades, AT artillery fire, enemy tank fire; and cannot do much to conceal themselves.

On the other hand, winter has got to be a $*#% of alot easiler. :shock:
joscha
WWII Vet

Post by joscha »

Rob, you might have overlooked a few things:

One bullet kills an infantryman - some paint flakes off from a tank.

One small shell fragment kills an infantry man - not the slightest reaction from a tank crew.

A tank is a personal multiple fox hole you do not have to dig, and IT ROLLS! 8) :idea:

All the other dangers to a tank and its crew also are dangers for the infantry.

Flamethrowers???? YAAAAGH! Joscha
Rob S.
Supporter

Post by Rob S. »

Yeah, I guess snipers are an issue too Joscha :shock:

I guess in an overall awareness situation, infantry are quicker to react than tanks. Obviously this does not account for all situations.
ReconPAL

Rivaleries between panzer troops and infantry

Post by ReconPAL »

I've followed your intresting posts. I served in the US infantry and with organic tank units and along side of and with several US armoreds most well remembered being the US 4th Armored, which along with a lot of luck was and is probably the chief reason why I am around to write to you. For what its worth and I view my experiences as typical rather than unique I never saw any antagonism between the US infantry nor recall hearing this as a subject of discussion or complaint by others who served in similar units in combat. I know that the armor was welcome and an emptiness was felt when they left even if they did draw fire. And conversly I frequently noticed that the armored unitss and the individuals in the equipment, tanks, halftrock, etc seemed to be glad I,we, were around, especially at night. The Regt. I served with conducted a long series of manuever crisscrossing the combatcommands of the US 4th Armored in Alsace frequently clearing woods and toowns to let them pass. When clear we hop on the back of a tank or crowd into a halftrack usually untilwe got back to a road, a or the battalion or took fire they we jump off or out and we'd each do our thing. They to defilade we to the ground. The best! Pau
To those who served
David

Food

Post by David »

Joscha, If I may ask. Was it true that the Panzer units were better fed then the infantry? Or is that a myth. Also didn't the Armord units work together as one with the infantry to suppot each other?

David
'Es geht wieder los'
The Chief
Supporter

CV-33 flamethrower

Post by The Chief »

How dangerious were flamethrowers to tanks? I've read an account where a CV-33 with a flamethrower crept up behind a T-26 in the Spanish Civil War, and the CV-33 didn't come back.
Also, how much room was there in the WW2 tanks? I know I've sat in all the stations of Abrams tanks, and frankly, I much prefer my MP Hummers!