Question about Rank and Command

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Lili Marleen

Question about Rank and Command

Post by Lili Marleen »

Hi,

In the Heer, what rank would typically be in command of what type of unit? There are many charts listing the ranks and many charts listing the unit hierarchy (organizational structure), but none seem to do BOTH. Is there some comprehensive chart or list which details what rank would typically command what type of unit [example: Armee under the command of a Generalleutnant or Generalmajor)? I'm sure there is overlapping and it's not exact science, but I imagine there must have been some kind of norm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

Go to: http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/

Click on: OoB´s,Gliederungen, KStN

Click on: 3.) Kriegsstärkenachweisungen (KStN)

Click on: Stellengruppen overview

Then click on any of the type of unit.

Enjoy.

Jeff
Lili Marleen

Post by Lili Marleen »

Jeff,

thank you so much! I'm in seventh heaven!!
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I hate to toss a spanner in the works, but I found this in Osprey Men-at-Arms #234, German Combat Equipments 1939-45.

On page 5 is a photo of German troops marching into a Polish city following the capitulation of that unhappy country. Author Gordon Rottman identifies a soldier marching just outside the ranks as an NCO platoon leader and goes on to say that "unit strength authorization tables prescribed that one platoon leader in each company be an NCO ..."

Possibly, as the war went on, more and more platoons were led by senior NCOs and not by junior officers.

I wonder if this NCO-as-platoon-leader thing was not confined to the infantry, but was true in other arms as well?

Yours,
Paul