Father/Motherland

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
gavmeister13
Contributor

Father/Motherland

Post by gavmeister13 »

does anyone know why is Germany called the Fatherland and Russia the Motherland?
Geniesset den Krieg, der Frieden wird furchtbar sein
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

That gets into more psychology than I'd want to deal with!
Edelweiss.
Supporter

Post by Edelweiss. »

One word - tradition. Names stick, especially those given to entire nations.

Regards,
Edelweiss
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Germany seems rather inconsistent. While it is a "Fatherland", it was sometimes personified by the goddess Germania.

I remember reading that generally speaking Catholic countries are usually personified as female and protestant ones often as male. Is there any evidence for this?

Cheers,

Sid.
Tomas Hellquist

Male/Female countries

Post by Tomas Hellquist »

I´m not sure it is correct with the catholic/protestant base for the 'gender' of a country. Sweden has been a protestant country since the middle of the 16th century and it´s referred to as "Moder Svea" (Mother Svea), which quite clearly is a feminine title. Svea itself is a version of the name Sverige (Sweden) and is derived from the 'tribe' called Svear once living in the core of what later became the nation Sweden.

The closest to a male name is Fäderneslandet (Roughly: The land of our fathers/forefathers/ancestors). But it is not used even remotely as often as Moder Svea.
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

But that is exactly where "Fatherland" comes from: "The land of my fathers" (meaning ancestors). This has nothing to do with Nazi Germany or WWII or something. Some things are older (like the idea to paint and hide eggs at Easter time).

That's that.
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

I'm not sure about Germany (Land is neuter) but I think that Russia is the Motherland because their word for it is feminine (rodina). Strana (country) is also feminine.

What is interesting is that the Russians call WWII the 'Great Patriotic War' (velikaya otyechestvennaya voina) where the word for patriotic is derived from the word for father, as I suppose it is in English. I have never seen this rendered in English as the Great War of the Fatherland, although I think could be a possible translation.
Regards

Howard
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi.
Answer is simply:
Matuschka Rossija - Mother Russia - In slavic languages almost any word with "a" at the end is female: Matka, zona, kaplica, wojna, kobieta
So we say "mother war" for example coz "wojna" is female.
But nobody knows why "Polska" is also female, but all Poles tells You: Polska - moja Ojczyzna!!! "Poland my Fatherland"
Sid - what you heard about protestants and catholics is rubbish. (Russians are orthodox)
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi Pirx

Thanks, I'd completely forgotten the obvious - that Rossiya is feminine!

Sid - I think Pirx has a point there. Britain is officially a protestant country and yet we are personified by Britannia, who looks sort of feminine, despite her gladiatorial outfit. Although I suppose you could argue that we were Catholics until Henry VIII went in for a new wife.
However, it is certainly true that the Russians are Orthodox, as are the Greeks whose word for Greece is masculine and whose word for homeland/fatherland/motherland is feminine.
Regards

Howard
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Howard,

This split is reflected in our language as well. The majority of words in the dictionary and academic usage have Latin roots, but the majority of words used in every day speech are German in origin. I guess we are basically Germans with a veneer of Latin culture.

Melvyn Bragg recently pointed out that every word of the most quoted parts of the text of Churchill's "Fight them on the beaches" speech is of German origin with one exception - "surrender" - which is from Latin via French. There's one for the Francophobe bigots amongst us!

Cheers,

Sid.
El Savior

Post by El Savior »

Finland is also called fatherland (fin. isänmaa). But sometimes Finnish talks about Finnish Maiden when talking about our country (but we never use word motherland). If you look the map, you will see that Finland looks little like dressed woman. Althought Russian took left arm (Petsamo) and parts of dress (Carelian) in WW2. :(

Many old Finnish words come either from Germany or Swedish, so propably this got something to do with it.
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi Sid,

Yes, I noticed Melvyn's comments too and had some fun with two of my French colleagues who disputed this hotly!! :D
Regards

Howard
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Just to muddy the waters a little more. Many years ago my mother brought to my attention that the nation is called the VATERLAND but the language is the MUTTERSPRACH. Her take on it was that the father defended the nation but the children were cared for ( and taught ) by the mother.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Piett

Post by Piett »

Germany comes from "Germania". It is female but it's not a "german" word. It's of latin origin.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Germans comes "aus Deutchland" :wink:
Joseph "Jurgen" Stroop - SS-general, top nazi and murder - asked about Germans told that in pre-Hitler culture each German primary was Bavarian, Preussen, or Sachsen, in second place Deutche. After 1933 nazi changed it.