Military Experience of everyone here?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

U.S. Army, 11B (Infantry), Jan. 86 - Dec. 88
wiltaz
Contributor

Post by wiltaz »

I served for 4 years (92-96), all of it but basic training in Germany. I served with the 3rd Infantry Division in a Bradley Platoon. I was an infantry dismount, driver and finished up as a gunner (the best job). My last year or so the Army rotated designations stateside and we became the 1st Infantry Division and they became the 3rd. So I had the pleasure of serving in two well known historical divisions.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I'm coming from Switzerland, where we have a milician army where everyone has to do hie military service.
I went to the Panzerschule in Thun (tank school) where I had a great pleasure piloting Leoprad 2 A4. Then, I made a uneroffizierschule to become chief of the tank. That's great too. I'm serving now with the tank batalion 17, 3rd compagny.
Vaterland
Supporter

Post by Vaterland »

Currently in the US MARINES. I am in the Middle East right now, with 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. Semper Fi.
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

1 years worth of conscript service as a rifleman in the Royal Norwegian Guards. The usual infantry training program plus a good deal of drill and ceremonial guard service.

cheers
ReconPAL

Military Experience of everyone here, FK's post of Mar 25

Post by ReconPAL »

I'm from Rudi's genration I volunteered after highschool and was trained in the Infantry School at Benning ending up in a rifle company, Co A, 71st Div, 44th Div. 15th Corp, 7th Army in Alsace, Rhineland, Central Europe somehow surviving those months; redeployed as a Div in July45 to States to make the landing on Honshu in Feb 46 with the 7th Armored and four oher Divs from the ETO which I no longer recall; while on leave the A bombs were dropped and the war ended with me in Valley Forge Gen Hosp after I got drunk in Times Square; recalled in 1950 as a 1st Lt Inf joined the 43rd Nat Guard Div at Pickett and served out two years in a rifle company. Paul
To those who served
captmix

Post by captmix »

I joined the U. S. Marine Corps in 1952 during the Korean War as a 16 year old. (Lied about my age). After boot camp and infantry training went into aviation and was an aircraft mech. After 10 years selected for the Warrant Officer program from Sgt. Later when Vietnam started promoted to 2ndLt from CWO-2. Served 14 months combat in Vietnam with helicopters. Retired in Oct 1972 as an aircraft maint. officer with the rank of Captain.

Tom Mix
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Im 17 but when im older i will join the Army hopefully through West Point or through ROTC, i want to be an MP and serve in Germany.
My dad would of got drafted to fight in Nam but as soon as he heard they were calling up his area he enlisted in the US Navy and loved it, he was an Eletrician's Mate on the USS Thor/AR15 during Nam/Cold War
"Whoever has the weapons with the greatest range has the longest arm"-General Erwin Rommel the greatest tatical officer of all time.
MCO

Post by MCO »

AdamH wrote:Im 17 but when im older i will join the Army hopefully through West Point or through ROTC, i want to be an MP and serve in Germany.
Adam: If you want to be an MP, don't go through West Point. Most West Point male officers end up in the combat arms branches. ROTC is a surer route to the MPs. While going through ROTC, join a National Guard or Reserve MP company (use to called Simultanous Membership Program). That'll help your chances of getting MP branch when you are commissioned.
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Thanks MCO
Yeah i was thinking about doing that "Same Time Service" thing , like join the National guard and do ROTC during College but if you want to be a MP then do you need to take a Crimilogy major or something like that?
"Whoever has the weapons with the greatest range has the longest arm"-General Erwin Rommel the greatest tatical officer of all time.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Adam,

Speaking as a retired Marine, and a serving law enforcement officer, I can tell you that being a criminology major is not mandatory. Taking classes from the criminal justice certainly wouldn't hurt, though, especially if you want to make a career out of it.
If you join the Guard or Reserves prior to going to college, you'll be sent to MP school. After you graduate from that, you'll have a better idea of what you really need to know, and what more you want to learn.
Hope this helps!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
MCO

Post by MCO »

AdamH wrote:Thanks MCO
Yeah i was thinking about doing that "Same Time Service" thing , like join the National guard and do ROTC during College but if you want to be a MP then do you need to take a Crimilogy major or something like that?
Criminalogy will only marginally help you become an MP. Your best bet is to join a Reserve or National Guard MP unit and SMP at ROTC. The MPs do other missions than just simply criminal work such a convoy security, traffic control, EPW guarding. Get good grades in college so you can graduate as a Distinguished Military Graduate. You are fortunate. The Army needs MPs now and are short of them. Join the Guard or Reserves now at 17 while you're still in high school. Caution: the Army is deploying active and reserve component MPs all over the world nowadays, so your college might be interrupted by an activation and overseas deployment.
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

My Friend's dad is a high ranking officer in the PA National Guard, i think a general and he said told me joining now before college would be mere suidice, becuase the army is calling up reserve and NG units like crazy, but he said to do ROTC/National Guard training and do the MP courses.
I wanna see some combat but i don't want to be an infantryman and get killed or wounded, or an Artilleryman and lose my hearing and get my nerves shot. Being an MP will be best for me i will probably be by a base[good food/good sleep] and i can see some action
any one have any thoughs?
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

Don't know... MP signs were always a great opportunity for target practice ;-)
Wenn man nichts zu sagen hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten.
captmix

Post by captmix »

Adam,

In reading your posts it appears that you do not know a great deal about your military services. What they are and what they do.

As a suggestion, do some reading about the Army, and the other military services too. Nothing wrong with wanting to be an MP, but from reading your posts, like you want to be an MP because of “staying on the base with good food and sleep” means you really don’t know what their training, duties, and responsibilities are. Why not find out?

A tour in the military is can be a wonderful experience, and at times not so good. But those experiences will become part of who you are later in life. Expect some rough training and long hours. There will be separations from your family and friends.

Instead of joining the National Guard why not go into the Army directly and after your tour is done then join the Guard. You will join with rank and experience, and most of all, maturity.

If you want things easy, don’t even think about joining the Marine Corps.