Burial of men KIA

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
08/15

Burial of men KIA

Post by 08/15 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Question: Before a fallen soldier was buried by his comrades, what items were removed from his body? I assume that in addition to his Soldbuch and dogtag half anything personal like letters, photos, watch, rings, etc. was retrieved to be sent home to his family. I would also assume that all decorations he may have earned were taken off his uniform before he was laid to rest. Can anyone confirm this?

Simon H
Associate

Re: Burial of men KIA

Post by Simon H » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 am

08/15 wrote:Question: Before a fallen soldier was buried by his comrades, what items were removed from his body? I assume that in addition to his Soldbuch and dogtag half anything personal like letters, photos, watch, rings, etc. was retrieved to be sent home to his family. I would also assume that all decorations he may have earned were taken off his uniform before he was laid to rest. Can anyone confirm this?
Only the tag was retrieved and Soldbuch. Taking off rings, watches, decorations and personal items would be neither possible or practical during combat.

However if a soldier died whilst in hospital away from the front then it's possible that personal items might have been retrieved and sent to their family.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.