Gestapo arrest records availability

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Gestapo arrest records availability

Post by philippe_jehl »

Not sure where to place this post so please move as needed.
I was wondering since there seems to be many documents now available through recent public release or archived documentation are arrest records and interegation records from the Gestapo also available ?
My mother told me her experience of my grand-mother being arrested by the Gestapo and taken away and her being left all alone (she was about 4 years old at the time). She vividly recalled the the Gestapo officers, one of which she described as a little man with wire rimmed glasses which liked to cling with his finger crystal glasses my grand-parents had. She recalled how they searched the entire house , even her toys for something but was not sure what they were looking for. The event haunted her throughout her life. What I also know about this was that my grand-father was able to secure the release of grand-mother and was away at the time with his unit and came back promply to secure her release.
This was a time when 10 prisoners were executed for every German soldier killed and 100 for every German officer killed.
I know very little of my Grand-father's war service except that he was a decorated WW1 German officer and returned to German service during WW2. The city this occured was in Nancy in the Lorraine province of france where my grand-parents had settled. They both were German citizens and were born in the Alsace province while it was part of Germany.
I have heard two different reasons for the arrest and search one was that a nephew that was serving on the eastern front had written a letter condeming the war and contemplating desertion and that letter was what they were looking for. I do know he disapeared while serving on the eastern front and never heard from again. The other story , which came from my grand-father was that it was as an act of intimidation stemming from my grand-father being approached by plotters of the assanination attempt on Hitler and refusing to have anthing to do "with the suicidal fools" as he called them.
So has me wondering about what really happened and just how he was able to get my grand-mother released. I also know from my grand-mother that they never physically harmed her but did interrogate her for hours and constantly threathened to sent her to a concentration camp. That too I find odd as I thought arrest and interrogations by the gestapo were always harsh and physically abusive