Starting a Reenactment Unit

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Starting a Reenactment Unit

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

Hi guys,
I was currious if any of our members have started or know how to start a Reenactment unit, I live in the Black Hills of SD and plan on living here for several more years, I have wanted to join a ww2 German Reenactment unit for quite some time but there are 0 arround, After Recently Looking arround Researching Gebirgsjager units and comming across the NWHA's Gebirgsjager Reenactment Unit I thought man that would be fun to join...only problem is Oregon is quite a ways away :( , so I thought hey...we have mountains there not as big but we got em, why cant i do something like this.. So I am curious if anyone has any ideas on how to go about starting a Reenactment/Living History Unit, Im not sure how to go about putting out fealers into the community looking for Reenactors/Living History members, so any Ideas?
Thank you,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
der alte Landser
Supporter

Re: Starting a Reenactment Unit

Post by der alte Landser »

Have a look at the links page on At the Front. You may be able to find some units in your area. Most units are affiliated with one of the larger reenacting organizations. If you're just getting started yourself, it may be a daunting task to organize and train a new unit at the same time. Many reenacting organizations allow units to form provisionally to have time to build numbers. After a specified time period, they either have to have a certain strength or fold back into one of the larger units.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

I looked at the "At the Front" links already along with some other Reenactor lists, the closest group to me is the 2nd SS Das Reich out of Minnesota, I have not found any German Units In SD, all we have is old west related such as the 7th clavary, I know it would be a huge task to try to raise a unit for the region (Western SD) but id figure i would atleast try to find out about starting a unit, The Black Hills would make a Great home base for a World War two Unit in my opinion,
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Johnathon - ever think about one of the Wehrmacht cavalry units???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Actualy yes I have, My Fiancee is a big horse person and We both do Old west/civil war reenactments with the Old West Society of MN, She rides Side Saddle and I ride in her fathers orignal Mcclellan saddle, I have thought quite often about doing a WW1 or WW2 German Calvary impression, I have often stared at the pics of the Pferde im einsatz – Horses in action on this forum and both my Fiancee and I have examined many of them that show the saddle and equipment and she has a saddle that looks idendical to the ones shown in the pics, I would just have to get Riding boots made I wear a US size 17, and a Uniform, and a few accesories such as a helmet, as I already own a K-98 and a Luger, So its been lurking arround in the back of my mind for a while.. :D
Cheers Jonathan,

John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Jonathan:
I wish I could get back to your neck of the woods sometime; a beautiful area full of history. No wonder the Lakota took exception to intruders :wink: Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Hi John,
The Black Hills is deffinitly one of the most beautifull spots I have ever lived in, plently of Forest Service land all over to roam arround in with many places to go that probaly have never been explored yet, There are also many ghost towns and old mines dotted all over the hills that provide a step back in time which are always fun to visit, I think the Hills would provide a excelent area for World War Two Reenactors and I am surprised we have none out here, I could think of many battle reenactments that could be done and that would be right at home in the Hills,
Cheers, :beer:
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,

John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Jonathan:
It has been years since I was there, but I remember eating breakfast at the Warbonnet Inn in Rapid City. I wonder if it is still around?? I will never forget the smell of the pines there!! Wonderful!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

You could start out by doing living history and then use that as a gauge to find out what sort of interest level there might be in your area. Living history opens up a lot of venues to you, like airshows, militaria and gun shows, and so on.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Hi guys,
Dont think the Warbonnet Inn is arround anymore,I looked in the Phone book :[] , but its not listed, Got to agree with you on the trees, I love the smell of the pine trees, i wish there were some up where i go to college in North West MN, but its primarily tundra lol atleast durring winter,
@ Landser, I think that is what im going to do, I am gonna start collecting Items and then start doing living history arround the area at any events i can, and see what/if any intrest is arround, I started my gear collection off right yesterday by picking up a pair of ww2 swiss Mountain Goggles that are identical to the ones worn by the Gebirgsjager for $20 off ebay, I think the Gebirgsjager is what i will portray as i can do both the Gebirgsjager on foot or mountedon horseback,
Cheers :beer:
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,