Border Shift

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
German Born
Supporter

Border Shift

Post by German Born »

After the Soviets shifted the German/Polish border which was sanctioned by Churchill where did all the people go?
Where did the german soldier who gave everything for their country go when they suddenly found there was no "Home" to go back to?
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989
pzrmeyer2

Re: Border Shift

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

they were scattered, first in DP camps, then in different villages, towns, and bombed out cities in the rump remains of the Reich. most ended up in the US and UK sectors, especially Bavaria, while some reamined in the SBZ, and were called not refugees but "resettlers" by the communists.

and of course, many others simply died or were killed--nearly 2 million of them out of approx 16 million.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

My grandpa (8th jeager division 1941-1945) after war has returned to home. He died in 2008 on upper silesia. Most German soldiers simply must moved west of neisse-oder line. similar most Polish soldiers must left homes east from bug river...
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
German Born
Supporter

Post by German Born »

Your pa possibly served with my dad Panzer division 1941-1945.POW IN rUSSIA 1945-1947.my dad was from Niesse. so when you visit his grave to pay respect please pay some respect from me also
Cheers G B. :D
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989