Werner Von Braun

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
kuschnereit

Werner Von Braun

Post by kuschnereit »

Hello everyone. I didnt really know where to post this. I just read something very interesting. While doing a little light research on Wernher Von Braun, i found out that the once director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, started as a Untersturmführer in the SS. He was actually promoted by Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler three times to finally the rank of SS-Sturmbannführer by 1943. Then by 1945, after his capture he was allowed to the United States. I just think its a little strange that the U.S. could allow a once declared war criminial to work for them on a space race against the very people who (The Russians) were their allies a few years before. Not only that but all the others who served in the SS, good and bad, which have no USE to any government are denied all honor as soldiers. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying anything against the U.S. or Von Braun. Does anyone else see what im saying? Does it seem a little wrong? An ex SS officer is allowed to work for the U.S. military, while just awile before anyone with a SS uniform was likley shot without question. Its amazing how powers can get away with picking and choosing when they can benifit somehow. Once again, nothing againsed the USA or Braun. I just thought i would put in my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

There is some hyprocrisy in the Wernher von Braun story as you say. At least we can be grateful that the treatment given him was more enlightened than that given to others. Each person should be judged by their own deeds not by the uniform they wore. That approach does take more effort though and that's why it isn't often done except in the case of VIPs.

The same mistake was made in Iraq in 2003 when all Baathists were expelled from public positions and the Iraqi army was disbanded so that there could be a "clean" start. Not looking too clean in Iraq, is it?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The whitewashing of Von Braun wasn't done by himself or the Germans - it was done by the Americans; one of the main planks behind Operation Paperclip, the bringing of German scientists to the US after the war - was that no NSDAP or SS members would be allowed into the US. One attempt was made to bring Von Braun into the US....and it was rejected; the Army Intelligence Lieutenant-Colonel in charge of his case merely edited out ANYTHING to do with his Party membership or SS ranks.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
kuschnereit

Post by kuschnereit »

yeah....well such is life i guess. Whats done is done and it will never change.
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

Well, I guess some are too young to remember when Von Braun appeared on the Walt Disney TV shows in the 1950's. Von Braun would talk about space travel, etc. Even as a brilliant scientist he could talk at the level of understanding of children.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The whitewashing of Von Braun wasn't done by himself or the Germans - it was done by the Americans;
Of course it was done by the Americans. They wanted and needed
these "experts" in their field working for them. Better "they" have
been acquired by the Americans than the Russians?
The space program benefitted from these scientists, whether
or not they worked for the German program or not.

Many of these people cared not where they worked I have heard only
that they could continue their research. I suppose politics wasn't
something they really gave much thought to? Perhaps I am wrong?
Annelie

Post by phylo_roadking »

In the case of Von Braun - and I'm sure others - it was the Paperclip intelligence officers who did it. It was the US State Department that actually first stopped Von Braun entering the United States.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Opa
Supporter

So whut?

Post by Opa »

His research helped the Americans win the missile race and hence the Cold War. Despite the warts in American life, I am VERY glad that the SU did not beat the US. So let's be grateful to Wernher (he spelled it that way). :D
Honny soit qui mal y pense!
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

WT, could you please tell us more about that? Even personal memories would be an insight.

Cheers,
Jock
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

Annelie wrote:
The whitewashing of Von Braun wasn't done by himself or the Germans - it was done by the Americans;
Of course it was done by the Americans. They wanted and needed
these "experts" in their field working for them. Better "they" have
been acquired by the Americans than the Russians?
The space program benefitted from these scientists, whether
or not they worked for the German program or not.

Many of these people cared not where they worked I have heard only
that they could continue their research. I suppose politics wasn't
something they really gave much thought to? Perhaps I am wrong?
The problems for Von Braun started when he was the subject of a Paris Match article in the 60s. Some of the French slave workers at Mittelwerk (where the V2s were produced) recognised him and accused him of personally sentencing several people to be executed. There was never any conclusive evidence produced, but it left a big stain on Von Braun's reputation that lasts to this day.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

No evidence of that particular event, but there were pictures of Von Braun in Allgemeine-SS uniform brought to light at that point.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The problems for Von Braun started when he was the subject of a Paris Match article in the 60s. Some of the French slave workers at Mittelwerk (where the V2s were produced) recognised him and accused him of personally sentencing several people to be executed. There was never any conclusive evidence produced, but it left a big stain on Von Braun's reputation that lasts to this day.
I found that hard to believe. One would think that there certainly
would have been evidence of this?
Annelie

Post by Liam »

I can't magine the US allowing their top space scientist being put on trial due to a bunch of French (probably commie, too) allegations. But, one of Von Braun's fellow V2 scientists, Arthur Rudolf, who designed the Saturn V rocket that got the US to the moon, was actually extradited to Germany in the 80s due to similar allegations...
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Arthur Rudolf Hantzsch's FBI & CIA Declassified Files On CD ROM
As the war ended in Europe in 1945, the United States and Soviet Union descended on the V-2 rocket works. They both grabbed as many German rocket scientists as possible.

Dr. Arthur Rudolf, a celebrated German-American rocket scientist who contributed greatly to Americas space program. He renounced his United States citizenship and returned to West Germany. After a three-year probe, based on the same evidence passed on by the East German and Soviet authorities, West German prosecutors concluded that there was no evidence against Dr. Rudolf. But by that time, his life was in ruins.
source http://ordermac.com/ZoneInfo/CDInfo.htm

He renounced or was extradited?
Annelie

Re: Werner Von Braun

Post by Rodger Herbst »

As the saying says "War makes strange bedfellows"