SD photos!!!!!

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Volks ans Gewehr
Supporter

SD photos!!!!!

Post by Volks ans Gewehr »

I got these off of Ebay for $7!!!! Does anyone know how much there really worth? Thanks Allot!!! :D

Last edited by Volks ans Gewehr on Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ist das Ziel auch noch so hoch?
Jugend zwingt es, doch!!!
OlavI

Post by OlavI »

Umm, once would have been enough pal.
Volks ans Gewehr
Supporter

OOPS :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was trying to get the photos to work and I accidentally posted it twice SORRY!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Zookeeper

A Question For You

Post by Zookeeper »

I mean nothing personal by asking this, but was just wondering why you would buy what appears to be someone's family pictures from e-bay? :?

I have some photos of German SS troops, but they were given to me by my father, who got them during the war. He still has others packed away at home, and some day will get those as well. But I can't imagine going out and buying them, especially as these appear be of a wedding party more than a particular unit.

Sorry if I offended you, it is unintentional.

Rick
Gewitter
Supporter

Post by Gewitter »

Interesting picture, if you look behind the man's left arm in the background there is Cyrillic alphabet......
Volks ans Gewehr
Supporter

I mean nothing personal by asking this, but was just wondering why you would buy what appears to be someone's family pictures from e-bay?

I have some photos of German SS troops, but they were given to me by my father, who got them during the war. He still has others packed away at home, and some day will get those as well. But I can't imagine going out and buying them, especially as these appear be of a wedding party more than a particular unit.

Sorry if I offended you, it is unintentional.
Belive me you have not offend me. :D You asked "why you would buy what appears to be someone's family pictures from e-bay?" I did not buy them because it was a wedding photo, I bought it because it has an SD Sggt. in it, which makes it very rare. :D Some photos are worth allot of money, like I remember seeing one go off on E-bay, it was of an LSSAH Officer who was winner of the Knights Cross it went for like $120. for me thats allot of money for a photo, but some photos are harder to aquire :(
Volks ans Gewehr
Supporter

Interesting picture, if you look behind the man's left arm in the background there is Cyrillic alphabet......
Yes, i wonder what it says but i guess only God knows :D
Will
Supporter

Why would

Post by Will »

Why would you want photos of the sd? I would think with the rather dubious background of that particular organisation one would want to distance oneself from it?

I'm not being judgemental do you collect them as a hobby or something else? -peace

Vergeiessmeinicht
Will

"Where The German Soldier Sets Foot, There He Remains"
Adolf Hitler-27 September 1942
Volks ans Gewehr
Supporter

Why would you want photos of the sd? I would think with the rather dubious background of that particular organisation one would want to distance oneself from it?

I'm not being judgemental do you collect them as a hobby or something else? -peace
No I dont just Collect SD :D I collect any thing from WWII, its just rare to see a photo of a SD Sggt. thats all and the photo was only $7 :D
101stDoc
Associate

Re: A Question For You

Post by 101stDoc »

Zookeeper wrote:I mean nothing personal by asking this, but was just wondering why you would buy what appears to be someone's family pictures from e-bay? But I can't imagine going out and buying them, especially as these appear be of a wedding party more than a particular unit.
Hey Rick. I am not the original poster (actually the pics do not show up anymore...prolly due to the date of the post), but I wanted to throw my two cents in.

"Private photos" show up for various reasons. Sometimes veterens sell them (I have purchased several German items through vets), sometimes their families do not want them (for various reasons), sometimes it's through a dealer or the like. Either way, in most cases it is because people don't want them anymore.

Private photos can tell us a lot about the time. They provide references for uniform collectors and the like, modelers, and of course historians in general. In some cases, these private photos and private photo albums represent the only surviving record of some of these men, as well as in some cases their enemies, aside from a page or two of foxing paper.

Sometimes portrait photos are found in albums, and/or are sold in estate sales...stuff like that. Why not buy em? Otherwise they just end up in the trash.

Doc
Zookeeper

SD Photos

Post by Zookeeper »

Doc,

You know, I have to agree with you now. At the time of the original posting, it seemed a little strange to be collecting photos like that. But like you said, if they aren't bought by some one who will keep and take care of them, they would be lost forever. Who knows how much history has been simply tossed out and therefor forgotten by the world at large and by the decendants of the involved individuals.

My grandfather was Canadian and fought in WW I. I recently got his dog tags and medals from my dad who is now over 80. It wasn't that he didn't want them anymore, it's just that he knew if I hadn't taken them they could be gone forever with no one to know who my grandfather was or what he did.

Thanks for bringing this to mind again.

Rick

PS
I have to admit I did a no-no and saved one of the photos. The SD guy looked a whole lot like a friend of mine and I wanted him to see it.
101stDoc
Associate

Re: SD Photos

Post by 101stDoc »

Zookeeper wrote:At the time of the original posting, it seemed a little strange to be collecting photos like that. Who knows how much history has been simply tossed out and therefor forgotten by the world at large and by the decendants of the involved individuals. My grandfather was Canadian and fought in WW I. I recently got his dog tags and medals from my dad who is now over 80.
Hey there! I usually do not go looking for things like portrait photos, but they show up sometimes. :) Your father served in the CEF in WW1? Wow! I do collect some BritComm ODM, but do not have any Canadian groupings (yet). What did he get? 1914-15 Star Trio?

Doc
Zookeeper

Canadian Grandfather

Post by Zookeeper »

Doc,

My grandfather was with the 7th Canadian Railroad Troop. I've scanned his medals, dog tag and Attestation papers signed in 1917, so I could send you a photos of them. I've even got a lottery ticket he purchased in Ireland in 1919.

They're nothing spectacular, but like you said, if somebody doesn't save them they can end up in the trash. That's something that will not happen to these.

Rick
[/img]