Choices

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
German Born
Supporter

Choices

Post by German Born »

did the young German man still in his teens have much choice in joining the nazi party? I heard that some were rounded up and taken away by the SS,is this true?
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Toward the end they had little choice but to join the armed forces, but no one was forced to join the Party. in fact, membership in the Party was supposed to be a distinction - not for everyone.
German Born
Supporter

Post by German Born »

derGespenst wrote:Toward the end they had little choice but to join the armed forces, but no one was forced to join the Party. in fact, membership in the Party was supposed to be a distinction - not for everyone.

was it a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't to join?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Speaking from personal experience, the soldier is generally the least patriotic person in the nation, at least in a political sense. They have opinions about politicians, but the ground rules don't let me type the way we used to talk about them! :wink: But party politics, political divisions, and all that claptrap are about meaningless.

The people that concern the average soldier are those officers in their chain of command. Thoughts like "Is this general competent?" "Man, my platoon commander could get lost going to the PX!"

Politicians? Who gives a damn?!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!