The Evils of Communism-what Nazi Germany fought against!

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

The Evils of Communism-what Nazi Germany fought against!

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

See how much you know, or don't know, about Soviet Communism in this great test written by Dr. Bryan Caplan (received PhD from Princeton University). :idea: 8) The test is called, The Holocausts of Communism Test.

http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi/museum1.cgi

Also from Dr. Caplan-A Communism FAQ :idea:

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economic ... m/faqframe

Address for Dr. Caplan's main page: :idea:

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economic ... sframe.htm
"A person hears only what they understand."-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Ada
Contributor

Re: The Evils of Communism-what Nazi Germany fought against!

Post by Ada »

Walter Wulfsen wrote:See how much you know, or don't know, about Soviet Communism in this great test written by Dr. Bryan Caplan (received PhD from Princeton University). :idea: 8) The test is called, The Holocausts of Communism Test.

The title of the thread is questionable. Poland in 1939 was not communistic country. Rahter strong anti communistic. So what were Germans fighting against in Poland?
Ada
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Re: The Evils of Communism-what Nazi Germany fought against!

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Ada wrote:
Walter Wulfsen wrote:See how much you know, or don't know, about Soviet Communism in this great test written by Dr. Bryan Caplan (received PhD from Princeton University). :idea: 8) The test is called, The Holocausts of Communism Test.

The title of the thread is questionable. Poland in 1939 was not communistic country. Rahter strong anti communistic. So what were Germans fighting against in Poland?
Hello Ada,

I did not mean to imply that Germany only fought against Communism, nor that Poland was a Communist nation in 1939. I am focusing on the Soviet Union and its agressive form of Marxism-Leninism, Communism and Stalinism (which are basically the same animal).

Cheers, Walter
Shmeiker
Supporter

Post by Shmeiker »

Come on, Ada. Didn't you hear that some people try to explain German guilt by idea of Wehrmacht fighting against communism, and even protecting and saving whole Europe from communistic plague? There is even a theory that Germany conducted a preemptive strike against USRR to combat communism right away before it grew too strong and became a danger to Wester civilization (I'm not making this up, search even this forum for confirmation).

Of course in such a light certain "uncomfortable" facts, like attack on Czechoslovakia, attack on Poland, invasion of Norway, occupation of Sweden and first and foremost extermination of Jews are usually ommited, because they do not fit well with this theory.

---

BTW communism was a true plague in fact - people living in communistic states know is all too well. But that it completely another story. And it is a fact that many front line German soldiers were told (and they really believed in it) that fighting communism ensures freedom for their fatherland. In my opinion they had every right to believe so (if I were at their place I might see these things exactly the same way).
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

The big question is, of course, what would Hitler have done if he had defeated the USSR? Freed the Russian people? Hardly. He invaded the Soviet Union to kill the jews therin and enslave everyone else. Totalitarian regimes aren't exactly noted for their kindly acts. And as for Dr. Caplan's quiz - anyone with even a rough understanding of 20th century history is already well aware of what the Soviet state did to its own people and others.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Hello Liam,

Yes, it is only a quiz, or test, but did you answer every question correctly? :?: It seems to me that a lot of people who frequent Feldgrau, either don't know the full extent of the evils of Communism, or are Communists themselves. :shock: :evil: I thought this thread might bring some much needed balance to Feldgrau. :idea: 8)

Cheers, Walter
Last edited by Walter Wulfsen on Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

I took the test and was dismayed to realize that I was lacking
in knowledge in Soviet Communism.

I was only intermediate, thanks it was an eye opener.

:oops:
Annelie

Post by Rosselsprung »

I don't quite get the objective of this thread. Yes, we all know communism was an evil plague that had to be stamped out like Nazism. We know the millions murdered by tyrants like Stalin and Mao. Or perhaps Walter is simply trying to justify the invasion of the Soviet Union and chalk up a few more points for Onkel Adolf. Finally, this doesn't make Nazi Germany any less evil.
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Rosselsprung wrote:I don't quite get the objective of this thread. Yes, we all know communism was an evil plague that had to be stamped out like Nazism. We know the millions murdered by tyrants like Stalin and Mao. Or perhaps Walter is simply trying to justify the invasion of the Soviet Union and chalk up a few more points for Onkel Adolf. Finally, this doesn't make Nazi Germany any less evil.
Hi Rosselsprung,

Well, Rosselsprung, it is a rather effective illustration of the fact that what the Nazis did was certainly not unique in the history of mankind, certainly not in the Twentieth Century . It allows those who do not yet know, Communist sympathisers, or out right Communists and leftists, who are in denial, to see that the Communists exterminated more people, by far, than the Nazis. Also, it shows that the Nazis were not the only ones who attempted, in the Twentieth Century, to exterminate a whole people. The Soviets attempted to exterminate the Ukranian people on more than one occasion, but that did not stop them from killing tens of millions of them (executions, man-made famines, deportations to gulags, etc), making the Nazi statistics pale by comparison! :idea: :x 8)

Cheers, Walter
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

The Soviet Union had as much to do with communism as Jesus Christ with Christianity. Sweet bugger all! Just another hijacking. Try reading Marx and Engels.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Walter,

Get off your pedestal and quit lecturing me.

I know of the crimes of the communist regimes have commited. I know Nazi Germany was simply one of many nations that commited genocide and mass murder. However, howling in my face how Nazi Germany was somehow less evil or justified in invading the SU because Stalin and company were mass murderers is ridiculous. Even your thread title stinks of neo-nazism and revisionism. The choice between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union was like being made to choose between Satan and Satan. Also, enough of this obsession with American left and so-called "communist sympathizers". Before you stamp the title of liberal on me for saying this, free speech is the right of peacefully disagreeing with your elected leaders in government. Though this is off-topic, I see no leftists who sympathize with communist regimes. However, I do some far right conservatives who have sympathies with the Nazi regime. I see no communist sympathizers on Feldgrau either.

If you want to study this in detail, see Stéphane Courtois's The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression or A Terrible Revenge : The Ethnic Cleansing of the East European Germans by Alfred-Maurice de Zayas. I'd rather see you present facts in a civilized manner than simply screaming about the evils of communism and "what Nazi Germany fought against".
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Rosselsprung wrote:I don't quite get the objective of this thread.
Hi Rosselsprung,

I am not lecturing you, or anyone; I am simply helping you to understand the objective of this thread. You did not have to respond to my thread, but you did. So, I thought I would return the courtesy. Thanks for the additional sources, but I have read plenty on the subject, perhaps even those as well. I believe that the liberal leftists (Communists in other clothing) in the United States, and around the world, are infecting Western societies and democracies, with ideas like: the state should take care of everyone (from cradle to grave), the state should be allowed to spy on its people with impunity, imprison them without due process, approve (legalize) murder of the not yet born, take away arms (so people will no longer be able to defend themselves against tyrannical governments, and criminals), and curtail (eliminate) freedom of speech (so-called thought crimes, hate crimes, word crimes, etc), religion and conscience. Their agenda (liberal/left), if realized, sounds as if it would be totalitarian to me!!! :x :evil: 8)
Cheers, Walter

P.S. I don't scream; I merely state facts and express well founded opinions. :D
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Hans wrote:The Soviet Union had as much to do with communism as Jesus Christ with Christianity. Sweet bugger all! Just another hijacking. Try reading Marx and Engels.

- Hans
Hans, you're ignorance is truly shining through! :idea: Christianity had/has a founder (Jesus Christ) and disciples (the Apostles) who led the followers (converts-from Judaism and, eventually from the gentiles). Communism, similarly had a founder(s) (Marx & Engels), disciples (Bakunin, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, etc) and followers (peasants and others who were tricked by the lying bastard disciples, into surrendering to a worse form of slavery than serfdom). :x The major difference was that one movement was good, and the other evil. 8) That is what Nazi Germany and the United States of America fought against, the evil of Communism! :D 8)
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Walter,

Movements [isms] and ideas are two different things. Communist and Christian ideas as espoused by their originators can both be classified as good, it's their hijacking by movements for their own purposes that was/is the problem.

I have a quiet chuckle when religious leaders pray for peace. They are the same people who bless the weapons of destruction in the first place.

Funny how when people express opinions contrary to yours [to which you are entitled], you resort to insults. Your opinion on my and other peoples intellectual capacity is irrelevant, as I am almost sure that you are not qualified to give a professional opinion. In the meantime I'll accept the opinion of MENSA, as it's to my advantage.

:D :wink: :D
- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID