Aware

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
munchener
Supporter

Aware

Post by munchener »

Is it true that most german soldiers on the front lines due to bad or no communication were simply unaware of what was really happening for instance gas chambers and the full extent of losses so they just carried on regardless. :?:
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

i know that they did not know about the gas chambers except for high ranking officers and they only found out about major losses.
Shmeiker
Supporter

Post by Shmeiker »

Sorry to break your heart, but many of them knew quite well about atrocities committed in Russia, because some of Wermacht soldiers participated in them. You should also add atrocities committed in Poland right at the beginning of the war - also by Wermacht. And last but not least - killing thousands of civilians during Warsaw Uprising (I repeat, civilians - what they did to armed uprisers is another story) shold influence your opinion about awarness of German/Wermacht soldiers about their deeds.

It is true, however, that information about such things like death camps, making soap out of human flesh and mass murder of villages (suspected of helping partisant, even though in many times it was not true) in Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia was not transmitted directly to front line soldiers.
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

true but mostly becouse of there commanding officers, and in some cases the commanding officer was stripped of rank and either hanged, shot or put in prison.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi van-noobie,

Have you any sourced examples of this happening?

Cheers,

Sid.
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

do be honest not really i got this off a documentary. sorry.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi van-noobie,

Thanks for a staight answer.

To many of us try to bluff it when asked follow-up questions.

Cheers,

Sid.
Ada
Contributor

Post by Ada »

von_noobie wrote:do be honest not really i got this off a documentary. sorry.
My father remembers when he was a little boy......:
-everywhere dead bodies of shot people,
-the moment when Germans came to their village to take 100 (and kill) men for 1 killed German Solder. "Fortunaletly": grandpa was working as a slave in Germany then so he survived war....

I promised to write of war crimes committed by Wehrmacht but having small child means "to have no time". But I will do that soon...
Ada