Berlin, Gatow Airfield & Tante Ju

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
RF

Berlin, Gatow Airfield & Tante Ju

Post by RF »

Dear Forum members,

I have recently returned from Berlin (see related post in Research forum) and would like to recommend a museum for WW2 enthusiasts. In the South west suburbs of Berlin is Gatow airfield. It currently houses the Luftwaffe museum. On display outside the buildings are dozens of newer aircraft (cold war era), while inside are aircraft ranging from its inception, through WW2. Of interest to forum members will be the glider, dioramas and a vast array of Luftwaffe decorations.

While waiting for a flight to Latvia at Tempelhof a few days later, I was surprised to see a restored Ju-52 land. It is operated by Lufthansa and I believe info for flights can be found at Lufthansa's website. I asked at the counter and they said it costs $300.00 for a 30-minute flight around Berlin (!). The plane moves around Germany from city to city, doing promo aerial tours. Reservations are advised months in advance. For the less extravagant, Berlin Tempelhof also offers C-47 aerial tours for about $100.

If you are planning a trip to Germany anytime in the future, I would also have to recommend the WaffenTechnik Museum in Koblenz. From rifles to tanks this museum is probably the least advertised and under-appreciated museum for WW2 buffs/modelers/etc.

If anyone knows of a good WW2 museum in the Dusseldorf area, please post an webpage or street address. I will be returning to Germany in a few months.

Best Regards,

Roland Fogt
xavier
Contributor

museums. gatow

Post by xavier »

hello RF

a more interesting tour of the airport compromises the underground hangars and tunnels, both used during WWII,and seen in the german movie "so far away, so close"

(the americans did a remake, city of angles, starring nicolas cage)

in the darkest and closed areas of the underground complex is still possible to find war detritus (ordnance, wood, etc. )

I will try to post the website of the "berlin underground" tours, unfortunately, I lost all my info on a hacker attack last month-... :evil:

regards}

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
RF

RE: Berlin Underground

Post by RF »

Dear Xavier,

The "Berlin Underground" webpage is < http://www.berliner-unterwelten.de >

They meet every Wednesday @ 6:00 pm in the air-raid bunker at the Gesundbrunnen S-Bahn station. I missed the meeting while I was there due to previous commitments, but hope to attend in the future.

Best regards,

Roland
xavier
Contributor

HIYA!!!!!!

Post by xavier »

Thanks RF!!

It is not the one I had before, another one to save!!

I am trying to recover al my info, the one I had covered most of Germany, with a section on Berlin, when are you going back to Berlin??

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
RF

Return to Berlin

Post by RF »

Dear Xavier,

My next trip to Germany is in January, but I won't be able to make it to Berlin for at least another year. I hope to find some good museums, memorials, etc. in the Dusseldorf area in January. I have searched the internet and to date have only been able to locate a Prussian museum in nearby Minden. I hope one of the forum members, especially if they live in the North-Rhein Westphalia area, can suggest some good museums there.

Sorry to hear of your hacker incident. If you would like a copy of all my WW2 related links, send me an email at < [email protected] >

Regards,

Roland