Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
debrito
Supporter

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by debrito »

[quote="Whiterook"]Hello everyone!

I actually joined at the end of November, but have been a bit sidetracked, so apologies for the late introduction. I was informed by a friend of the site, and decided to check in and see what's happening here, and was very impressed, so I joined. I have a interest in WWII that stems from my father's involvement in the war as an infantryman in the Canadian Army. As many of his generaltion, he didn't talk much about his experiences, and through accounts from his brothers and sister, the war years haunted him; but he was also immencly proud of his service. He died a few years ago, sadly, and I was lucky enopugh to get the medals he wore for the last time as he lay in repose.

I am an avid Gamer, and specifically in WWII games. I find that in the scenarios I play, I am able to better understand the tactics used on the battlefield...even if it is just in a small way. I have also recently rediscovered model building, and build primarily WWII models.

I look forward to exploring the site and meeting many new friends here![/quote]

Hello Whiterook,

I am interesting to know about your model building constructions. I am also create model dioramas, mostly for 1/30 scale military toy soldiers miniatures. When I have a chance I will post a few pictures of my dioramas.

Cheers
tracern1

Post by tracern1 »

Hello

And I would like to thank those that built this forum and keep it up and running. I have been a member for a while now but just haven't paid a visit for a while.
I'am a collector of WW2 german miltaria and weapons, mainly army related. I have also been doing some research on two of my family members who served in the german army during WW2 on my mother's side of the family. My mothers's father who was killed in Russia. And My mother's step fahter who I called "Opa" . Opa passed away about 10 years ago. This site has always been a great place to learn about the german army and those who served in it. I really enjoy reading the threads where german vets tell about thier time in the army during WW2.
drGreen

Post by drGreen »

Hi All!

I've been reading this forum for a couple of years but never actually signed up (sigh). Thanks to the recession I've actually got some spare time at the office and decided to register.

So I'm Sander from the Netherlands, 32 years old. Really like to read books about the EasternFront and specially interested in Wiking or anything about dutch volunteers. I've been a tanker myself for 5 years in the dutch army almost married got a cat and.... blablabla :)

Regards,

Sander
aka
drGreen
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Herr Doctor!! Make yourself at home; try the search function on our site for lots of past posts on Viking and Dutch volunteers. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Gene

Post by Gene »

Hi everybody. My name is Gene and I recently retired from the Marines after 28 years of service. I enjoy studying the American
Civil War (My ancestor was a Georgia Private who migrated to Blockade Running after being severely wounded at Gettysburg) and WWII on
the Eastern Front.
I'm currently working on my Masters Degree and trying to recover mentally & physically from a pretty intense and exhausting military career.
Thank God for the Veterans Administration! Once I'm done with college, I think I'm going to try a very peaceful second career such as teaching
at an elementary school.
I really like Feldgrau and greatly appreciate all the effort that's gone into keeping the site alive and relevant. It is truly great work.
Best and Semper Fi/Gene
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Welcome aboard, Marine! Us Jarheads gotta stick together!
Once I'm done with college, I think I'm going to try a very peaceful second career such as teaching
at an elementary school.
Yer kidding, right? You been in an elementary school lately??? :shock: :D Well, maybe they're not as bad as middle school or junior high!

Best of luck in your new career, really. Welcome aboard!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

DO NOT BECOME A TEACHER! I'm one myself and after almost 8 years it gets a bit boring in a way... :redface:
C46thVA

Post by C46thVA »

Greetings Feldgrauers!

My name is John, Im a US Army vet, and proud to be a former ground pounder, bullet stopper and all around "stubble hopper". Ive been an avid student of military history all my life. My main intersts centered around the US Civil War and Vietnam. However Ive been drawn to WW2 more and more and particularly the Whermacht. My primary interest at the moment are the various Heavy Tank Battalions of the Heer and the Waffen SS. At the moment Im reading Carius and just finished Agte's 2 volume series on Wittman and the Liebstandarte Tigher units. Im also interested in panzer aufklarungs units. Im also am avid collector of US elite insignia and militaria and am addicted to the Combat Mission series of WW2 tactical wargames. I also dabble in model building although nothing like the days of my youth. Ive also recently been drawn back into a little reenacting, although in reality I think this is more of an excuse to buy all kinds of repro german uniforms as I can no longer afford original stuff ( makes me wish Id hung on to all of the gear, insignia etc etc I picked up while stationed in Germany. Even though I it didnt really collect Third Reich militaria at the time I still managed to aquire a huge pile of the stuff. I eventually sold it all upon my return home and turned it into my SF collection.)
Im looking forward to the oppurtunity this forum will provide to learn more about what is fast becoming a passion for me. Ive been lurking here as a guest for some time now and am very impressed with the level of knowledge and research that Ive found. Thanks again, you'll be hearing from me soon enough!

JW
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Hi to all. I am a new member from the U.S. soon to be relocating to Europe. I'm in dire straights since I've been reenacting german for about 5 years now (Heer + SS) and love it to the bone. The country where I'm moving to this summer (Switzerland) doesn't offer a whole lot of options in this department and will probably have to beg to be accepted into one of the fine groups in the U.K., Italy or Eastern Europe (I've heard Slovenia and Poland put on great events). Been a militaria collector for a while longer. Mainly focusing on Heer stuff from helmets to postcards.
An avid PC gamer, I spend most of my online time playing the Red Orchestra and Call of Duty servers.
Looking forward to participating in the forum and please feel free to PM me and let me know if your reenactor group in the old continent is interested in any worth-while additions to the roster.

Cheers
mrs1944

Post by mrs1944 »

HELLO

I'm a french old veteran born in 1944 and always been passionate by WW2. I'm working hard on Google Earth Battle of Normandy map & placemarks and expects you could help me: see my 1st thread in campaign forum. Thanks
mrs1944
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome to our new members; I hope you stick around and enjoy the site. mrs.1944, where are you from in France?? I miss your country very much: the food, the wine, the terrain!!! Tres Bon :D
John W. Howard
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi All
What a great forum you have here! I'm a museum consultant/researcher in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I've been a student and fan of military history as far back as I can remember. While I dabble in the American Civil War, Boer War and Crimean War, Germany in WWII and the Canadian Expeditionary Force have always been my two major interests. My dad served in the Canadian Army and my moms family served in the German Army so I always had a taste of both growing up. My hobbies are all military; models, figures etc. and I've spent the last couple years working on a book, A C.E.F. Order of Battle, for the lack of a better title. A friend recently asked for my help sorting out her dad's German WWII service records etc. and I came across your forum in the process. Its a refreshing change of pace to be back in WWII again and I'm hoping your members can help me out with some questions of mine!
Cheers
Mark
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Mark!! Fire away with the questions!!
John W. Howard
Gautag

Post by Gautag »

Hello everyone!

I have been a long time visitor to the forum and now that my work has brought me home I decided to join.
I have found this site to be a fantastic resource and learn something new every time I visit.
I am very interested in German postcards from 1923 to 1945 and my collection covers all types of cards during that period with seperate collections of kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, RK holders and many others. I have only been collecting for a few years having finally disposed of a large British badge collection and as such have found the rarer cards out of my reach and difficult to come by. However, I do have over 500 cards so at least the study is bulgeing!
I am also interested in photographs, the Florian Geyer Division and have started looking at Feldpost numbers for all areas of the German Armed forces in WW2! So I will no doubt be bombarding forums with questions and am of course willing to help others wherever possible with the little knowledge I have.
Finally I hope to post some of my cards and will be looking to buy, sell and exchange items to people of similar interests.
Hope to see you on the boards soon,
Gautag
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Gautag!! I hope you find the site to your liking. Best wishes.
John W. Howard