Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wilkommen, Martin!

I've had only one meeting with your Navy. A Zerstörer visited Norfolk, so one of my Corporals and I went to visit. I'd have to dig to find out what ship it was.

So, aside from no Bier in the crew's quarters, how do you compare the two navies?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
HG43

Post by HG43 »

Hi Tom!
Hey, maybe that was my old ship you visited. I was on board Zerstoerer Luetjens D-185. We did a couple of port visits here in Norfolk back in the Fall of 2000.
Well, besides not having beer underway, we also can't smoke inside the ship in the US Navy. On the German ship we were allowed to smoke anywhere except on the mess deck during chow and down in the engine and boiler rooms. That might have changed by now though. Another big difference that comes to mind is that the Germans advance in rank much faster, which isn't always a good thing because you end up with a lot of very "green" sailors in positions of authority without proper experience. The pay and benefits on the other hand are definitely better in the US Navy.
douglas5102

Post by douglas5102 »

well my name is douglas5102 and I am new here. I already posted three posts and hope someone can help. I am a general worldwide collector who is specializing with postal strikes, feldpost. I hope to get assistance with the feldpost thing.

I do not speak german and being unemployeed the available feldpost michel catagloues on feldpost are out of my price range. I am also doing a exhibit on German Army Feldpost 1940-44 hence me being here. I have read most of the material here and feel that this is the place.

I am glad to be here.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Hello everyone,

Although I have seen the website before, this is the first time I registered after recommendation to do so and to post some of my questions. I am enlisted in the Royal Dutch Army for sixteen years now and I have been into military history since I was young. My interests are: German Army (especially during WWII), command&control, intelligence, operational and unit tactics, topographic maps. My primairy focus is the Eastern Front. It would be nice to help each other out in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Robert!! Enjoy yourself!!
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wilkommen to the Royal Dutch Army, from a retired US Marine! Enjoy the forum!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Hello everybody and greeting from Sweden!

I have followed this forum for quite a while and decided to give myself a try to debate. Im a 23 year old from Sweden with reenactment as my main interest. Im going to present our reenactment group here later on and I hope you take time to ask questions and look at our pictures! The reenactment group portrays SS-Nordland along with a russian and upcoming british section.

My main focus about ww2 in general are on uniforms and equipment, the eastern front and the nordic volunteers.

Also a question: is it possible to upload a personal avatar? I seem to have the same avatar as a moderator at the moment!
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome to the site, Ziegler!! I believe you can upload a personal avatar, but a more computer savy member or moderator than I will need to give you advice. Have fun 8)
John W. Howard
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

[quote="John W. Howard"]Welcome to the site, Ziegler!! I believe you can upload a personal avatar, but a more computer savy member or moderator than I will need to give you advice. Have fun 8)[/quote]

I would love that! And I have to say sorry that I have choosen the same avatar "Freikorps Danmark" as you!
Twotonic

Post by Twotonic »

hi
im kinda interested in the 6. Panzer Division from say the beginning of Barbarossa. i have discovered numerous notable personalities with connection to this unit, and am interested in the career of Generalmajor Dr. Franz bake.

luke
CDBaker

Post by CDBaker »

Hi:

I'm new but I've very much enjoyed this site for some time.
I don't want to sound self-promoting, so please delete this post if it is inappropriate. However, I spent 3 years writing and researching a Hitler Era novel from the German perspective. In the process, I had the great honor of spending time with Manfred Rommel in his living room, and had become friends with Johann Voss, the author of 'Black Edelweiss.' In addition, listening to the very HUMAN stories of other Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS veterans, I eventually wrote a novel that no mainstream publisher will touch. (I do have several other novels published, so I am a professional writer.) Anyway, if I may present my book,it's titled, 'The Seduction of Eva Volk.' Today and tomorrow it's Kindle version is available for FREE and I hope many of you will take a look.
Anyway, as I do my best to deliver the message that the German people of this era were actually people, not unlike ourselves, I hope this site will prove to be a continued resource. Thank you. BTW, my web site is www.cdbaker.com.
Again, sincere apologies for any promotion...just not sure how else to let people know about it.
kurt-gerhard

Post by kurt-gerhard »

Hallo,
my name is kur-gerhard. i was born in 1926 and my nephew asked my to join this forum, with his help for translation i wil try to provide information when requested.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wilkommen, mein Herr!

Others here have better German than I do. Where did you grow up, what part of Germany?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Marco S.

Post by Marco S. »

Good evening,

I am a Northern Italian researcher. I joined this interesting forum looking for possible information on the German troops fighting on Western Alps, especially in Valle d'Aosta (Aosta Valley), in the Monte Rosa Massif' area. I hope you may help me.

I will read the various cathegories and then I'll open a specific thread.
Thank you again,

Marco
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Marco!!
John W. Howard