Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by BergführerKiser »

Servus Jason,

Maybe we should collaborate on a Gebirgsjäger book together.

Hurra die Gams!
Attachments
5GJDski race_01.jpg
5GJDski race_01.jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks a fantastic piece!! Wow! We should indeed consider working on a book together, it would help me get it done a lot faster and allow us both to get our best material in print. If you're serious I'd be interested in doing it.
sgriffin383

Post by sgriffin383 »

I am a new member to the site and really enjoy it! I spend a lot of time reading the posts. Great pics and great topics. Anyway, about myself...I have always been interested in warfare and especially the German miltary since I was a child. My grandfather immigrated to America in 1929 with his family. He was a child. He ended up being drafted during WWII and fought for the Americans. My great-grandfather fought for Germany in WWI. I know very little about his service. I do remember as a young child going to visit them and they had a picture of him in his uniform sitting on top of their TV. I could of swore that he had an Iron Cross. I am not sure where that picture is now. One thing that I have searched for are websites, like this one about WWI German miltary, if you ahve some leads or links for that let me know. I know that I have relatives that fought for Germany during WWII and know very little about them. Recent contacts with my relatives in Germany have revealed some info. I am making a trip over to Germany this summer to get more. An interesting fact that I do know is that one of my relatives flew a ME-109 and crashed into a smokestack during the Battle of Kiev. Many more of them never returned from the Soviet Union. I have one uncle that is still alive who survived the war. If anybody has any info on German servieman with the last names of Thomas, Luedemann or Jessen, please let me know.
I have served with American miltary for 14 years. I served with the Marine Corps in Desert Storm and served with the Army going to the Iraq War 2004-2005. I no longer serve with the military. I suffered hearing loss to my right ear from an IED explosion and have not regained enough hearing to return to service. I have a Bachelors degree in History with an emphasis in miltary history. Once again great site!!!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Welcome aboard, Devil Dog!

Jump right in, you're sure to find something interesting.

By the way, that probably was the Iron Cross in the photo.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
sgriffin383

Post by sgriffin383 »

Thanks Tom! I remeber too that my great-grandmother, had a brother who was killed. Unknown name or unit. I remember seeing a picture of him too. I think he had an Iron cross also, his last name was Thomas. Once again after her death, that picture vanished also.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I served with the Marine Corps in Desert Storm and served with the Army going to the Iraq War 2004-2005.
Semper Fi and thanks for your service to our country sir. Image

Bravo Zulo!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Hello sgriffin383 and welcome from a fellow member. Noticed two things I would like to comment.

1) I am very sorry to hear what happened to you in Iraq. To me it means a lot having relatives there.
Close family who are in constant danger of loosing their lives because of them being a religious minority!

2) Jessen is a rather Danish sounding name. Could that part of the family by any chance be from
the northern part of Germany - Schleswig-Holstein?

Best regards

waleed
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I suffered hearing loss to my right ear from an IED explosion and have not regained enough hearing to return to service.

Indeed, as Waleed said I am very sorry to have read this. You are among those heroes that have sacraficed heavily in the War on Terror. I'm sorry for your loss and thank you again for your service. If you contact me offline I'd be happy to list your status on the forum as a veteran and to place your former unit emblem as your avatar if you wish.
sgriffin383

Post by sgriffin383 »

Walleed:

Thank you for the response. Jessen is Danish. My family is from Schleswig-Holstein. Tornesch to be exact. One of my great-aunts mairried a Danish man.

To all:

Thank you for the replies about my service. I would go back in a second if they would let me. I love America and what it stands for and I feel like I am not doing enough. I am deeply saddened by the political scene in our country. In 2001 we were untied and now we are divided. Most Americans cannot stomach a war that lasts for very long. We are a "fast food society." Meaning that we get what we want right now or else. We need to remain in this war for as long as it takes. Ask 99% of the veterans and they would tell you the same thing. Enough politics...thank you once again and I am looking forward to uncovering fact about my German family and the military personnel in my family.
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Aha! Well, fortunately the Danish WWI memorial with the names of some 6000 or so fallen,
is situated in Århus. They were drafted into the German army - not voluntarily!
Denmark lost S-H to the Germans in 1864 war and would not regain some of the
lost areas before the 1920 reunion.

If you know of (Danish) family members who fell, I would be happy to go down
and have a look for any names for you!

waleed
sgriffin383

Post by sgriffin383 »

Walleed:

I know that one of my relatives was danish. Unknown first name, but last name is Jessen. I know that he was a pilot and crashed into a smokestack in the battle of kiev or battle of london. That is all that I have.

That is all I have for now. I will keep you posted if I get anymore info.
Bucher

Post by Bucher »

Hello to all. My name is Andy Booker(Bucher). I've been browsing here for a while
learning from all you very knowledgable people. I've been interested in WWII Germany since I was 11 yrs old. I'm a re-enactor of 1st century Roman and would also like to do WWII German. I'm married to a wonderful German woman I met during my Army days. I'm 57 yrs old and live in Columbus,Ga. Thanks for including me in this great forum.
NASAAN101

Post by NASAAN101 »

Hay all,
the names NASAAN101, i found this site through one of my other Friends, (Phlyo) who is one of the other Administrators on here. he and I are also on Feldpost.. i should have a photo on here soon, i'm just not sure how.. one thing you guys need to know abput me is i HAve ADD, so if i keep repeating myself, just let me know ok..
NIKKI
Antonio J Munoz
Author

Post by Antonio J Munoz »

Hello:

My name is Antonio Munoz. While most of you may be familiar with my books, not many know much about me. So let me post this brief resume:

1966 - Emigrated from Cuba (grandparents from Spain)
1976 - graduated from High School & joined the Marines
1980 - honorable discharge (left the Marines on a Friday and by Tuesday I was employed!)
1983-1985 AAS (Associates in Applied Science Degree)
1985-99 BA degree (went part time while working)
1999-2008 Graduate School (went part time while working)
2008 - Teaching position as adjunct professor of history

My time does not allow me to be as active on Feldgrau as I would like to be, but I will try and answer any emails on a more timely basis.

Sincerely-
A. Munoz
Missa

Post by Missa »

Hello To All,

My name is Missa Barbee. I am a student at Vanderbilt University. I was invited to join by Mr. J. P. Moore. I hope to learn much here. My area of interest is the SS all areas but mostly the RSHA and RuSHA.

Missa