Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Gren Schell

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by Gren Schell »

Tom,

Isn't it weird that, although we are separated by a huge swathe of water, our paths have been strangely similar!!
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

Welcome aboard from another new member!
Roy

Post by Roy »

I thought that I would tell everyone hello, and to say that I've always had a strong interest in history. My main focus is the US Civil War, and especially anything relating to the 6th Georgia Cavalry Regiment. However, having said that, I've always had a strong interest in the German mountain troops, both Heer and Waffen SS. I collect Soviet, East German and of course Civil War and Gebirgsjager material whenever I can find it.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Roy:
Welcome!! I just got back from Shiloh, Brice's Crossroads, Corinth, and Tupelo with a stop-off at Ole Miss. I had visited most of them before, but needed a refresher. I had some great Southern food too :wink: Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Welcome, Roy!

We have an overlap in interests: 6.SS-Nord!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Roy

Post by Roy »

Thank you for your kind words, fellas! I suppose that my interest in the mountain troops stems from the fact that I was raised in an area that has a unique history. I was raised in the mountains of the North Georgia/East Tennessee area, and during the Civil War was the scene of vicious guerilla fighting, and during WWII was even the site of a POW camp for German prisoners. Having an interest in anything outdoors related (heck, I'm a park ranger!) I guess that it would be natural for me to read anything about the gebirgjager troops.

I've read "Black Edelweiss" and "Seven Days in January" and really am impressed with the history of the Nord Division. Is there any good material available on the 7th SS Division Prinz Eugen?
HOS Bandit

Post by HOS Bandit »

Hello to all. I joined this forum a week or so ago and I love it! A little bit about myself. I am on 100% service related disability, have been for 10 yrs. now. I live within spitting distance to one of the most famous battlefields in the USA, Gettysburg. I have explored that battlefield countless times as a boy and a Man, and each time I go there, I discover some new and fascinating fact!
My interests are German and Croatian war pieces. My collection is small but I have a couple of "Key pieces" courtesy of my Grandfather that I have built upon. My interest in Croatia stems from my heritage, and the fact that my Father had Uncles and Cousins who were HOS members. My interests are apolitical, and of a personal nature. My main goal is too try and find out what my distant Croatian relatives fates were, they disappeared at wars end, I know more than likely what happened, Im not naive, but anyway, this is a great forum and Thank You for allowing me to be a member.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you will enjoy your time here and find lots to read and research on the forum and the Feldgrau.com main site. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask as one of the moderators or admins will be happy to help you out, as will most of the members of the forum! I trust you will learn a lot from your time here, and with any luck we will learn from your posts as well.

btw, thank you for your military service. I'm sorry to hear about your disability.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello HOS:
Welcome!! Oh how I envy you your proximity to Gettysburg and the food at the Farnsworth House!!! Glad to have you aboard :D
John W. Howard
Schmul

Post by Schmul »

Hello,
I have just found some documents from my Father (dec 2001) and am trying to piece together his movements in WW2
He worked maintaining tanks, and appears to have got as far as Zvenigorod near Moskow (I have a map with dots on it where he was). He also spent 4 years in prison in Stalingrad but was captured in Czechoslovakia 5 days after the war finished. The prison number was 7362/1 (sometimes 2 and 3) I have some of his correspondence from there. ( I am hampered by not speaking German)

Any clues on how to get more information on his movements? I also have his id number.

Thanks for the forum

Andrew in Western Australia
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

Andrew: If you need assistance deciphering letters, I'm happy to help.
WillBittrich

Post by WillBittrich »

I am new here too, testing the waters.

What's the story? great stuff going on but not allot of action. Really slow here what's the story. What needs to happen to get things moving.

Always have had a real interest in the history between 1900 and 1950 specifically on late 1944 and 1945.

I do have an objective fascination with the war with not wanting to glorify it or any of its agencies.

Will
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Will:
Welcome!! Getting things going is as simple as good questions and responses. I think things are a little slow due to the post-Christmas rush to accomplish all of the things left on the back burner during the festivities. I always found the best way to generate questions was to read a good book covering this period and then ask for clarification on things I wished to explore further. Things ebb and flow here, so do not be alarmed; things will pick up. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

John

My grandparents lived in Chambersburg which is right next to Gettysburg. The latter town practically oozes history and I try to get there every couple of years at least. Love the Dutch seven sweets and seven sours. (I assume Dutch is actually Deutch in this case). My grandfather took me to the battlefield when I was a little boy and showed me the statue of Uncle Robert (E. Lee) and told me what a fine gentleman and soldier he was. I believed him - hence the 'reb.'

Cheers
Michael (Reb)
Zepp

Post by Zepp »

It really took off for me when I served in bn Nord in Troms,Norw.
On a hike in the mountains near Lyngen we came across the "Lyngen Linie", where the Germans planned to stop the Russian invation in northern Norw.
Found some items from soldiers of 6. Geb Div, among others a homemade sleepingbag made of newspaper and sugarsacks.
Later I met a Norw.voulenteer who served at Hasselman in Karelia, he told me his story and I was hooked.
Some years ago I went to Narwa, met a veteran there and, later, went with him to Kaprolat and Hasselman hills in Karelia.
Zepp