Major website upgrade announcement!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Major website upgrade announcement!

Post by Jason Pipes »

The quick and dirty:

Feldgrau is about to embark on a major upgrade and we need your support. We need to raise $400 to cover the costs of a major upgrade to the Feldgrau server. Please consider sending a donation in any amount today or in the next week or so to help cover these costs.

The details:

Currently Feldgrau is located on a dedicated server in a managed location consisting of a PIII 600 CPU w/512 MB of Ram and (2) 9.1 GB SCSI harddrives. Both drives are at 92% capacity. Feldgrau has also been getting slower, the forum needs a major upgrade, and we are behind a few versions in our critical server software.

In order to address all of these issues we are migrating to a new server consisting of a P4 2GHz with 1 GB Ram and either (2) 36 GB SCSI or (2) 80 GB IDE harddrives. In the process we will be upgrading to a new operating system running the latest Apache, MySQL, and PHP versions (MySQL 5.0, PHP 5.x, Linux 2.6, and Apache 2.2).

These upgrades will dramatically improve the safety, security, storage, and functionality of all aspects of Feldgrau.

We are requesting your donations in advance of this migration to help offset the costs. Everything on Feldgrau will become faster, many new features will become available, our server space will greatly increase, our backup ability will dramatically improve, and the forum will be drastically updated and will become faster, safer, more secure, and easier to use.

Please consider helping us with this critical migration by sending us a donation!

Thanks for your support of Feldgrau.com and Feldgrau.net!
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Jason,

I have just contributed 1/8th of the funds required for the upgrade. I hope that other fellow feldgraurians can also contribute to a new and improved forum which ultimately benefits us all.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Your very kind donation has been received! Thank you!! :beer: :up:

I'm signing the paperwork for the server upgrade shortly. If I get a chance I'm going to snap some photos of *the* actual unique machine that Feldgrau lives on and is hosted from (and has been for years).
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

We're a little short on the donations so far folks, we really need your support to help make the Feldgrau server upgrade a reality. It looks like the cost is going to go up a little bit too since the new server they want to put us on is going to actually run more than I was originally quoted.

That said, yesterday I took a tour of the facility that has housed the Feldgrau server for the past 6-7 years. I took some photos and I'll post them as soon as I have a chance to get them online. The facility is pretty neat.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Folks? Awfully quiet on the donation front right now.

Without your support this update can't happen. Please consider sending a donation in any amount to help us make the transition to a new server.
dblmed1
Supporter

Glad to Contribute...

Post by dblmed1 »

I have just added my Donation towards our Computer System Upgrade.:up:

Dave/dblmed
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

We are nearing our goal! Thank you to those very kind and very generous folks like David above that have helped support Feldgrau by sending donations.

We are now at nearly $300 of the $400 we need to pay for the new web server upgrade.

Just a few more donations and we will have reached our goal and can proceed immediately!

:up: :beer: :D