New requirement going forward re: user names on Feldgrau

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Statemachine: is it really that bad in the USA? Does management hide behind or under stones to check their employees?
What has happened with The Land of the Free, Home of the Brave?
Certainly it isn't the land of the free anymore, and if you were brave (not pointing at you, but in general), you wouldn't have to use a false name.
Have you all become drones?

If this all is true, than I am glad to be a Euro-type as Tom described it.
Sure, we have our problems here too (with idiots like Geert Wilders who's trying to manipulate the more stupid and short minded persons from both the "native" dutch and the islamic dutch digging themselves in), But besides this, we ARE free, and do not have to face such drastic consequenties as you have described.
Boy, am I glad to live here :D

Piet D.
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'm not all that computer savvy, but if he simply added a block for "Real Name" in the registration, that could help. After all, only admin can view it, and I can assure you I don't have the knowledge to do anything improper with it!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tom, I would need to speak to Jess up on Feldpost to confirm, but if you scope out the two registration processes for Feldpost and Feldgrau, both being phpbb sopftware-based forums, the two screens are suspiciously similar. There may not be a "real name" option to add, in the package.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Piet Duits wrote:Statemachine: is it really that bad in the USA? Does management hide behind or under stones to check their employees?
What has happened with The Land of the Free, Home of the Brave?
Certainly it isn't the land of the free anymore, and if you were brave (not pointing at you, but in general), you wouldn't have to use a false name.
Have you all become drones?
Piet, with all due respect, it is impossible for me to understand which side of the fence you are on. The Land of the Free and Hone of the Brave has been taken over by swarthy beureaucrats and PC elites that no longer value the principles of the Constitution, or the idea of American exceptionalism and instead embrace the concepts of one-world order, and the cleansing power of Wall Street to make things right. As the OLD World is no longer a beacon of democracy, as a largely unelected elite impose their invasive ideology on more and more things. The thing is, Ive been posting and rallying against this type of stuff, and you always seem to be one of the first opposing me.

If this all is true, than I am glad to be a Euro-type as Tom described it.
Sure, we have our problems here too (with idiots like Geert Wilders who's trying to manipulate the more stupid and short minded persons from both the "native" dutch and the islamic dutch digging themselves in), But besides this, we ARE free, and do not have to face such drastic consequenties as you have described.
Boy, am I glad to live here :D

Piet D.

You say you are FREE, but if we go back to troubling issues like the LePen affair, you can see with evidence that you are not; You cannot live how you would like to and say what you wish,. This is not about yelling "fire" in a building, or advocating mass murder. It is not an American thing. Or a European thing. The increasing restrictions placed upon us European and American, by the chosen few, are poisoning both of our cherished backgrounds.

This post is not meant in anger or an attack on you. If posts like this are truly reflective of your opinion, I'm just trying to understand where it is we disagree.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Piet, I hope you understand there was no disrespect intended. You're correct in that both sides of the pond have their problems. You do things that we think are unpalatable, and the reverse is just as true.

Does management hide behind rocks and check on all these things? I'm not sure. However, I do know that a lot of places will take note of certain activities and behaviors, and just keep a mental note until the time is right to use them against you. That's not hyperbole, either. I've seen it myself.

I believe this thread is going to do more to illuminate some differences than Jason may have intended. That's a good thing!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Erik,

I don't believe in being only right or left. Every party has bad ideas, but also good things. I am more leftsided (and lefthanded) than rightsided, but also some of the right ideas are good. The same goes for the leftist ideas. Both good and bad. It's the way to find a balance in them.

You wrote you don't understand which side of the fence I am on. I don't have fences, so to speak.
So, as a result, in some ways I agree with some of the things you write, and in others I completely disagree.

I don't see it as an attack. As long as we are able to discuss things in an open way. We don't have to agree in everything.

Piet D.
Last edited by Piet Duits on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I do know that a lot of places will take note of certain activities and behaviors
...confirm that, I used to have to DO it!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Annelie,as I understand it,a paid internet connection to your home instantly makes you indentifiable.Bad acting can be dealt with.Jason is of course free to run Feldgrau as he sees fit.But I see this as a feud between Paddy and Sid.Paddy was trying to identify Sid on a different forum,IIRC.

The big problem is how the info is used and abused.And it will be abused in North America,no doubt about it.The info will turn into slander,to be pulled out whenever it is useful.

Piet,yes management can use all manner of software or hardware to keep tabs if they so desire.Drones are easily dispatched,they have no sting.Some have expressed the view that there is nothing to fear,they are members of powerful unions which will go to bat for them,at no personal cost.There is just no end to the possible angles.
An unbreakable man
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Well, then it's no longer a democracy you are living in, but in a dictatorship. Maybe you should consider moving. @{

Piet
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

It is a democracy.But perceptions count,and things can be viewed through different lenses.I would never move.I can look out and see mountains that stretch further than most of Holland!
An unbreakable man
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

[quote="I can look out and see mountains that stretch further than most of Holland![/quote]

Now that is cheap. Holland is a small country :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

mountains that stretch further than most of Holland
...and altitudinously-challenged...
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

DBL PST
Last edited by Paddy Keating on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Tom Houlihan wrote:PK has a point. Face it, he's pissed off more people on the internet than a dozen of us combined, and he's still hanging in there. If he's weathered the storms, then the rest of us should have no problems.
Indeed! @{

Though I see Paddy's point about the cards, there are reasons why it wouldn't work.

I suppose so. In fact, people who do not wish to have credit cards generally meet with my approval, in theory at least, because they are rejecting the credit-based lifestyles and debts through which governments seek to control the people in democracies.

The phpBB software is not as versatile as some other programmes like Invision. One function that might go a long way towards promoting 'peace' here would be an 'Ignore' button rendering disliked members effectively non-existent and a 'Block This User' button for stopping PMs from the same members. I do not know if this can be added to phpBB but it comes as part of the Invision package, along with all sorts of other user-friendly functions.

I know that one can make an effort to ignore these people but it is much better if they think one has blocked them. They get all bent out of shape then because they know that their trollings aren't even being read by the individuals they are targeting. :D After a while, they give up and go elsewhere.

PK
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Etymology
The word democracy derives from the ancient Greek demokratia formed from the roots demos, "people", "the mob", "the many" and kratos "rule" or "power".
"rule by the people" or "power of the mob" or any other possible combination is not what we see nowadays in any democracy. The so-called 'representative democracies' that we have are more and more degenerating into a minority empowered by the many to rule the mob.
We, the people, allow that to happen. At least we are all free to do that :( .

But then, what is freedom? Americans can probably say more than Europeans when it comes to "the nazi heritage" but are also checked on to a much further degree by their government than Europeans when it comes to anything to do with "homeland security". Generally speaking I think that individual privacy (in my opinion an important part of 'freedom') is respected more in Europe than in the US. Today at least, that used to be the other way around not too long ago and who knows how that will develop when the EU gets more power over our national affairs and private lives?
Nobody is totally free, we are only allowed a certain degree of freedom in varying topics by those we have empowered.
Europeans are 'free' to be provided for by tax money (freely paid, of course :wink: ) when they can't provide for themselves. Americans are 'free' to work two or more jobs to prevent not being provided for by tax money saving others a couple of dollars.
There are a myriad of examples like that where one (perceived) 'freedom' leads to the loss of another (real) freedom by both the same and different individuals.
Moral high ground? Nah, just a matter of different perspectives