T34 and crewmembers

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Dale
Supporter

T34 and crewmembers

Post by Dale »

Did the Russians ( and when ) add a sixth crewman to the T34?
gorbag
Supporter

Post by gorbag »

I don't think the T-34 ever had a sixth crewmember. The T-34/76 variants all had four crewmembers- commander/gun aimer, driver/mechanic, radio operator/hull MG gunner, and main gun loader. The T-34/85 increased the crew by one, adding a main gun aimer to free up the commander, but didn't see action until 1944 with the Guards tank formations. The KV-2 (assault gun variant) had a six man crew, but that was to handle the large howitzer rounds.

Hope that helps.
In the battle between good and evil, evil usually has more fun.
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

whoops - I actually meant a 5th crewman -- you answered that anyway..
thanks !
Dale
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Just an interesting factoid, the very first T-34/85s issued did not have a 5th crewman. These were the T-34/85s mounting the D-5-T 85mm gun. When production shifted to mounting the Zis-S-53 85mm gun, the 5th crewman was added. However, there were many times when a shortage of crewmen forced T-34 crews to operate without the fifth man. Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

According to Steven Zaloga in the Osprey New Vanguard book on the T-34/85, the T-34/85 was designed from the outset to utilize a five-man crew, Commissar. But for a good bit of the type's combat career with the Red Army, they made do with just four men, leaving the front machine gunner out because of a personnel shortage.

I've read that in the early part of the Korean War, the North Koreans used just three men in theirs--driver, commander/gunner/radio operator, and loader.

Yours,
Paul