Scandal-How Allies Treated German POW's

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

I quote for example:
[b]Israel Kills Palestinian Boys, Steals Organs For Transplants[/b]

Noel, with all my sympathy for Palestians, I find the Theheran Times not a good source.

By the way the corpses off dead Palestinians (and other muslims) are buried the day after their dead (when possible). Iff this organ thing is real, you can imagine that all the Arab TV-stations would show us pictures.
Hard to belief, all the Arab countries would use it and it would surely pass to the West, certainly in the EU. And even the US stations would show.

I understand you are angry at wath Israel does to the Palestinians, but this kind off example gives a bad policy to people who try hard to bring some truth about the conflict, remember the famous war journalist that had a lott off news-awards in the EU and US and was killed a few weeks ago. He was off origin from Libanon, I think but had also a Western nationality.
God bless those poor reporters.

Best regards, but I think we are from topic.[/b][/i][/u][/quote][/code]
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Please stop the Jews versus Palestine babble. It has no place on this board (unless you want to talk about how it relates to WW2).

Doc
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

Yes, 101,

Like I ended, we are off topic.

I did not bring the famous Theran Times. Must be something!

Wine is the answer from the world to the sun!
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
christy

quelle suprise

Post by christy »

so someone has suggested that the allies aren't perfect. when did the sudden realisation sink in? when you look at what the Labour government did to their polish and czech allies after the war, why would anything surprise anyone? or the way kitchener shot irish troops willy nilly for cowardice in order to "boost morale" despite the fact that every one was a volunteer, none was conscripted. the austrailians refused of course. it didn't dent their war record (ww1). the fact that in the middle east Tony Blair is at war against terror whilst actively promoting it at home.

i would doubt very much that any new zealander would eat any human, and would hazard so much as a guess that the story of maoris munching on Frankfurters made of the finest POWs is a tad untrue. i would love to see this evidence. does new zealand have a ku klux klan i look forward to hearing from them?

certainly, britain, and america, and the entire western world is selective of which truth it would like to promote. there should have been trials, inquests, court marshalls for all crimes carried out by all sides, but there weren't. perhaps if You had been held by the japanese or the military wing of Gerry Adams / Johnny Adair, you might have something to really complain about, but i doubt your voice would be heard.

the tragic thing is that tragic things happen to everyone who participates in any war. that is as they say, the nature of the beast. it doesnt make it right, or just, but nothing new.
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

the allies are war criminals
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

Allies were killers and war criminals who have discredited germans and the riech
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi KGMeyer,

I have for over a year asked for a published quotation to confirm the often raised accusation that there is a widespread campaign to the effect that "all Germans were Nazis" and never got one.

Now you offer "The Allies are war criminals".

Isn't that just the teensy-weensiest little bit over simplified as well?

Cheers,

Sid.
Anton

Post by Anton »

My 2 cent to the debate.

Both my father, grandfather, grandmother and uncle spent time as POW.

My father was 17 and die hard hitler jugend / waffen SS. He was taken prisoner in a monestry turned into hospital in Koblenz in march 1945. The americans throw him and all other wounded soldiers out of the hospital and left them without care in an outdoor camp. He still has the sharpenel in his leg.

They where then shipped to England where they worked at a farm. Most brittish treated them good. But a stupid canadian sergant beat my father up without a reason. Almost every night they had to watch films from concentration camps. But they obstructed the brittish as much as they could. As they reasoned, Jesus had 12 diciples, Hitler has thousands.

After three years they where allowed back to Germany. Still nazis, but as my father grew up he changed his ideas quite radically.

My grandfather spent four years in camp. As I understand he worked as labourer in rebuilding germany. He was happy with the american treatment, as he fled from the russians.

My grandmother a civilian, was treated worst. She spent three years in a camp in Denmark. They where badly fed and much hated by their danish guards. Rape and other abuse was much common. I have never read anything about these camps and on what grounds they kept civilian germans (however refugees from Preussia).
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Anton,

Thankyou very much for allowing us to know about your
family.

I am sorry hear about the abuse your Grandmother received.
Time heals but not easily forgotten.

Annelie
Anton

Post by Anton »

Neither I nor anyone in my family feel any hate against any other people. People do god and bad all the time and more so in war.

The only thing I spite is the propaganda view of germans being sadistic and americans good hearted heores. Reality is more complex than that.

My oncle was 13 when he embarked the Wilhelm Gustoff in Danzig. The ship was sunk by russians and 7,700 mostly chlidren died. My uncle was however saved by a german mine sweaper where he stayed as mascot till the war end when they gave selves up.

Here is a photo of my grandfather working with rebuilding Hamburg after the war as a POW. Except from the captivity he had to pay a substantial amount of his income to the jewish fund for the rest of his life.
http://www.travits.se/bilder/Anton%20pr ... eb0017.jpg
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hello Anton,

It is very admirable not to have bad feelings. Some have been hurt
beyond comprehension that they will not forget.

Your photo is wonderful. I see they are quite happy rebuilding
the city for the new future. Your Uncle must be in some history
book that I read. The sinking of the Wilhelm Gustoff is well
documented. I am happy that he survived both the sinking and
the war.
Except from the captivity he had to pay a substantial amount of his income to the jewish fund for the rest of his life.
I do not think I have ever heard of this before? Is it not unusual?
To pay into a Jewish fund for the rest of his life? ..... I don't
understand?
Anton

Post by Anton »

My grandfather was the oldest of 13. All where communists except him. He was drafted in 1918, but the war ended before he reached the front.
After the war he did not live in Germany any more, but the state of Danzig surounded by Poland.

He started a taxi business and made a class journey manifested by the marriage to my grandmother in 1921. She came from an old bourgouir familly. They inhereted the family business and town house.

In 1927 he lost almost everything he achived. On top of that his new born daughter died. So he joined the nazi party. Part of the reason to it was also that he liked to fight the communists. Litterly.

When the Nazis came to power he was awarded the blood drop, an award for early party members. The blood drop meant after the war that he had to pay to the jewish fund. He died of cancer in 1970. He did not hate jews before the war but had a little grunt against them after it becouse of the payments.

The war meant to my father that he had to give up his dream of becoming a doctor. Instead he had to chose between becomming a tailor or a hair dresser in order to be released. He choose hair dresser.

In 1950 the whole family was reunited in Hamburg, but they where banned from going back to their home town of Danzig. At age 42 my father entered medical school and five years later he was an M.D. He was backed by his best friend and mentor: Alexej. A jewish doctor, who was minister of health in Chechoslovakian government that was toppled by the communists.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thankyou Anton,

Just when I think I know a fair bit, along comes something I have
never heard of before.
When the Nazis came to power he was awarded the blood drop, an award for early party members. The blood drop meant after the war that he had to pay to the jewish fund. He died of cancer in 1970. He did not hate jews before the war but had a little grunt against them after it becouse of the payments.
This payment for being awarded an blood drop is the first I believe
I have ever heard of this.

What an great story of your Father being backed by his best friend and
mentor an Jewish Doctor.

Thankyou.
Anton

Post by Anton »

He was also some sort of major of Danzig. Not gau leiter, but something below that. Over the part of Danzig called Ohra (now Uhrunia). In 1939 when the germans marched in, the party wanted him to work direct with the Gau, but he did not think he would have time for it. He also thought that he was to old to be drafted so he turned the party down. In january 1940 he got the draft for Kriegsmarine.

Here is a prewar photo of him wearing the blood drop. Notice the fashionable mustache of the time...

http://www.travits.se/bilder/Anton%20pr ... eb0001.jpg
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Antyon,

An interesting post.

With regard to your mother's position.

Another poster on Feldgrau complained that one of his German relatives was one of the last released by the British from Egypt in mid-1948 even though he was not a Nazi or Waffen-SS member. However, in his case it turned out that the relative came from Yugoslavia and literal repatriation would have meant handing hm over to the Yugoslav Communists.

I wonder if your grandmother's prolonged internment in Denmark was for similar reasons? As pre-war Danzig was not part of Germany and post-war Danzig was Polish, it might be that in the eyes of international law she was not a German citizen but Polish or stateless, which would have made repatriation technically difficult. As you point out, when the family was reunited, the Poles would not let them back.

Cheers,

Sid.