If Britain fell in late 1940, what about the Empire?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Brandenburger7

If Britain fell in late 1940, what about the Empire?

Post by Brandenburger7 »

So i've been doing a lot of research into Operation Sealion. I've read about what would happen if the Germans were successful in launching an Invasion of Britain.
I know that there was a plan to evacuate the Royal Family and Government if things really went tits up.

But if Britain was successfully invaded and conquered in late 1940, what would the Empire and the Dominions do? I can't seem to find anywhere about what any of them would do if such a situation happened. The only thing i've read is that if it did, then General Archibald Wavell who was a Commander in the Middle East, particularly in Egypt and the African campaign there. He would have felt no choice but to surrender as there was little hope of continuing the war. I can't remember where I read it or if it was that particular General, but I did read something along those lines.

So i'm wondering.

What would the Dominions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India have done if Britain had been conquered?
Also what about the rest of the Empire, the parts that were ruled from London directly. Would they have still taken orders from London like what with Vichy France and its colonies? Or would they have thrown in their lot with the exiled British Government which would have relocated to Bermuda?

Also bonus question.

Does anyone know if there were any plans to also evacuate the Governments in exile and the foreign Royalty who escaped to Britain? (Queen Wilhelmina and the Dutch and French Governments in exile for example.)
Today Europe. Tomorrow the World. - Adolf Hitler