Passage UK to Vienna, May 1942?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

wednesdayschild

Passage UK to Vienna, May 1942?

Post by wednesdayschild »

For purpose of a novel I'm working on, I have a character whom I need to have travel from Scotland (where she has arrived courtesy of the SOE via the N. Atlantic Air Ferry route) to Vienna, May 1942. She has a valid German passport and is planning to work for SOE in Germany (Vienna) even though we all know this really didn't happen much, if at all, in 1942 (it's fiction). If you needed to make such a journey at that time, how would you do it? Fly to Lisbon or Gibraltar and take a train? Sail to L/G and take a train? I'm looking for ideas that were feasible, even if difficult. For example, were there any flights from UK to Portugal or Gibraltar? Could one do this trip through Sweden? Thanks in advance for any info; "can't be done" type of info is equally useful to me.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Passage UK to Vienna, May 1942?

Post by phylo_roadking »

I'll check this one for you over the next few days. At least one Abwehr agent got back to Germany via Lisbon from Ireland...and Sean Russell, CoS of the IRA, travelled from the UK to Germany during the war by approximately the same route.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
wednesdayschild

Re: Passage UK to Vienna, May 1942?

Post by wednesdayschild »

Thanks. I'm posting this over on the Axis History forum also, to get a few more eyeballs.