Travellers

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

John Kilmartin
Contributor

Travellers

Post by John Kilmartin »

Were members of the Travellers residing in Britain conscripted and if so were they treated in an equitable manner or were there restrictions put on them so that they were only allowed to serve in particular units?
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Simon H
Associate

Re: Travellers

Post by Simon H »

Interesting question John, by travellers I guess you're refering to the Romany Gypsies. Not sure how you'd find out as they can be very private people. I see no reason why they shouldn't or didn't serve in WW2. Hope this thread gets some good replies!

Good luck!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Simon,
While Travellers and Roma both have historically lived similar lifestyles they are entirely different ethnicities. Travellers according to genetic testing are considered to be as close to the pre-Norse Irish that exist. Shelta is based on Irish Gaelic much like Yiddish is based on German. Roma on the other hand speak a language very close to the languages of Northern India.
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

John, I would seek to be contradicted on this - but given that IF any of them were actually citizens legally of anywhere...it would be joint citizenship of the UK of GB and NI/Irish Free State as per the 1922 Anglo-Irish Act :wink: And thus could legally claim immunity from conscription....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Phylo,
It never occured to me that none of them would be only British citizens instead of having dual citizenship. Thanks for that incite, as if I had thought of that I would have figured out your answer on my own.
Cheers,
John K