Most forgotten allies

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Henrik Andersson
Supporter

Re: Most forgotten allies

Post by Henrik Andersson »

Monaco was invade 1940. So i think this is one of the allied xountries who is forgotten.

San Marino declare war aginst Germany 1943. But San marino never fight in reality.
I belive they have same statues ass Italy after 1943. Not allied but allied white the allies!
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

I think I've read that the German invasion of Luxember either resulted in one or no fatalitiies but there was some shooting. They may be one of the more forgotten allies.
Henrik Andersson
Supporter

Prince Jean of Luxemburg fight in brittish army. Perhapse some more from Luxemburg do the same?
ljadw
Supporter

Post by ljadw »

Henrik Andersson wrote:Prince Jean of Luxemburg fight in brittish army. Perhapse some more from Luxemburg do the same?
He was fighting with the Irish Guards,of whom later he became colonel in chief
Henrik Andersson
Supporter

Well not Luxemburg so who is most forgotten?
Iceland was not allied but the brittish and later the americans take controll over the country.
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Sorry but Monaco wasn't invaded before november 1942 and by the Italians,

There was a Free Luxembourg Artillery Battery with the Free Belgian Brigade but many others people from Luxembourg served in the French Maquis & Army

Abyssinia/Etiopia fought against the Axis in 1941 I assume

Guatemala Nicaragua Costa Rica Panama Dominican Republic Cuba and Haïti declared war in december 1941 bust most of them didn't have navy, even an army, only Cuba saw a naval incident, Bolivia and Colombia in 1943
Ecuador Paraguay Peru Chile Venezuela Uruguay Paraguay in february 1945 and Argentina the 27 march 1945

of course all very far from a true participation of a whole Expeditionnary Division in Italy like the Brazilians or the Mexican Air Squadron 201 in the Pacific
"A Moi Auvergne"
Animal

Post by Animal »

lwd wrote:I think I've read that the German invasion of Luxember either resulted in one or no fatalitiies but there was some shooting. They may be one of the more forgotten allies.
A few Luxembourg Gendarmes were wounded fighting the German invasion while the actual soldiers never made it out of the barracks before they were ordered to surrender.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Loïc L. wrote:Sorry but Monaco wasn't invaded before november 1942 and by the Italians
Actually the Italians occupied Monaco in June 1940. The Germans took over in November 1942 and were there until August 1944.
Loïc L. wrote:Guatemala Nicaragua Costa Rica Panama Dominican Republic Cuba and Haïti declared war in december 1941 bust most of them didn't have navy, even an army, only Cuba saw a naval incident
Actually those countries all had armies, navies, and air forces, none of which were big enough to make any real contribution. Except for Cuba, none of the Central American armies amounted to more than about a brigade or at most a division. In fact, Costa Rica's army only numbered about 500 men. It was disbanded in 1948 after they made the mistake of backing an unpopular dictator. As for the navies, again only Cuba's navy amounted to anything, while the others had only a few small patrol craft.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Henrik Andersson wrote:Well not Luxemburg so who is most forgotten?
Iceland was not allied but the brittish and later the americans take controll over the country.
Iceland was united with Denmark until 1944 when they became fully independent.
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Animal wrote:
Loïc L. wrote:Sorry but Monaco wasn't invaded before november 1942 and by the Italians
Actually the Italians occupied Monaco in June 1940. The Germans took over in November 1942 and were there until August 1944.

but no, I don't understand where you have seen that :
Monaco wasn't invaded before november 1942,
in june 1940 the French Army of the Alps was invicted, in this area only a part of the town of Menton was occupied by the Italians,
between november 1942 and september 1943 Monaco was in the Italian Occupied Zone with Southeastern departments of France, and occupied by the Germans between september 1943 and august 1944
Loïc L. wrote:Guatemala Nicaragua Costa Rica Panama Dominican Republic Cuba and Haïti declared war in december 1941 bust most of them didn't have navy, even an army, only Cuba saw a naval incident
Actually those countries all had armies, navies, and air forces, none of which were big enough to make any real contribution. Except for Cuba, none of the Central American armies amounted to more than about a brigade or at most a division. In fact, Costa Rica's army only numbered about 500 men. It was disbanded in 1948 after they made the mistake of backing an unpopular dictator. As for the navies, again only Cuba's navy amounted to anything, while the others had only a few small patrol craft.
in Haïti, Dominican Republic, and Nicaragua the armies were disbanded in 1915, 1916 ~1928 during the American occupation and replaced by military police forces : Gendarmerie then Garde d'Haïti, Nicaraguayan National Guard, the Dominicans restablished their army from the National Guard

in Panama the army was disbanded in 1904

(the Costa Rican Army numbered 334 men in one artillery battery and one infantry company)
"A Moi Auvergne"
veers

Post by veers »

I'd pick Poland.

It was first to fight, never surrendered, provided 4th largest contingent of troops among western allies, not to mention numerous and well organized ressistance in the occupied homeleand, took party in every major battle in the European theatre and yet after Germany's defeat, it's borders were reshaped (in general, moved westwards, altough at cost of circa 1/3 of pre war territory), UK and US ceased to recognize the legal goverment in exile in favour to puppet "Lublin Committee" installed by the Soviets, which in turn led to turning the country into a Soviet satelite state.

Plus, afaik Poles were the only allied country that didn't take part in the 1946 Victory Parade.