RAAF PBY Catalina

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

von_noobie
Associate

RAAF PBY Catalina

Post by von_noobie »

Greetings all.

Haven't done much research lately, and as i was surfing the internet recently i came across the RAAF PBY Catalina's. Operating as night time raiders in four squadrons, No. 11, 20, 42 and 43 Squadron RAAF, mounting mine laying operations from 23 April '43 to July '45 in south west pacific deep in Japanese-held waters, Through there mine laying the bottled up ports and shipping routes, Kept ships in deep water making them prey for US submarines, Tied up major ports, Including Balikpapan that shipped 80% of Japans oil supplies and that they were the only non-American heavy bombers squadron operation north of Morotai in '45. Also heard that the also dropped 'terror bombs' (beer bottle with razor blades inserted into the necks). From what little i have found its said that the PBY Catalina was to Australia what the Spitfire was to Britain.

Its really got me hooked but with way things are going for me i don't have time to do the research, If any one has Any information if really appreciate it.

Cheers