The German Commander near the end of the

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

PA. Dutchman
Supporter

The German Commander near the end of the

Post by PA. Dutchman »

In the HBO special "Band of Brothers" when the Germans are surrendering a German Commander wants to surrender to an American Officer as is the correct military procedure.

When the German Officer surrenders he asks if he might address his troops for the last time and he is granted that opportunity.

An American translates the German Commanders words to his troops. The Americans Officers realize was is being said is very inspiring and speaks to the hearts of both the American Troops and the German Troops.

I know the HBO special was based on the true story of the American Unit.

What I was hoping to find out if anyone would know if that German Commander was a real person and who he was. He was an Officer and Gentleman in the movie I would like to know what unit he lead and what happened to him.

Many thanks,
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
John W. Howard

Re: The German Commander near the end of the

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Dutchman:
I found that to be an especially moving part of BOBs. I do not believe there is any specific reference to this incident in the book, so I have a feeling the commander was a composite or just a creation of the screen-writer. I will look for you. There have been numerous spin-off books from various members of the Band, which might contain more info on the German troops laying down their arms. I think Don Mularkey and Winters have books out. I will take a look and get back. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Re: The German Commander near the end of the

Post by PA. Dutchman »

Thank you very very much. Yes it was an outstanding way to finish up the series.

My father was at at Hickam on 12/7/1941, he lost several long time and close friends that morning, the first one was only a few feet from him.

When we married my best man's wife is Japanese and asked my father if that was going to be a problem.

He said No that is behind us and me. During the Attack and after wards he said a good number of Japanese Americans did all they could to help the wounded of the attack. He had Japanese American friends before the attack and they were still his friends after the attack.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman