German Internees in France come 1940

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Andy H
Associate

German Internees in France come 1940

Post by Andy H »

With the fall of France in 1940, the British Home Office furnished the Chief of Staff reporting to the War Cabinet that out of 76,000 German males and females in the UK, that only 12,000 had been interned. Also that out off 18,000 Italians only 4,500 had been interned.

What numbers (if any) are available regarding German internees in France prior to the fall of France?
Given Italys late invasion of France that the was little time to organise any widescale internment of Italian civilians!

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Carl W Schwamberger

Re: German Internees in France come 1940

Post by Carl W Schwamberger »

Andy... the book 'The Dark Years' may have hose numbers. It does refer to the internees & discusses their fate. Most had fled Germany before the war seeking refuge from the nazis. When France signed the armistice the Gestapo found them all convienetly caged up in camps near Vernet. Refuge Spanish Republicans were there as well.