Air Raid Wardens

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Jacky
Supporter

Air Raid Wardens

Post by Jacky »

Hi

I came across a book entitled The Air-Raid Warden Was a Spy: And Other Tales from Home-Front America in World War II by William B Breuer

During the war Air Raid Wardens were an everyday part of life in Britain making sure no lights were showing and, of couse, assisting the victims of air raids. This is the first time I knew America had them as I had never thought of them being necessary in a land where air raids never existed. What did they do? Or is the title thoroughly misleading?

My local library never had they book so it has to be ordered for me.

Thank you

Jacky
John W. Howard

Re: Air Raid Wardens

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Jacky:
We had air raid wardens here in the States too. I suppose the biggest part of their job was enforcing a coastal blackout. In the early part of the war the US did not blackout our eastern coast-line, which made all of the coastal shipping sitting ducks for German U-Boots; they were silhouetted against the back-drop of coastal lights and easily seen from the sea. The U-Boots had a field-day. There were also coast-watchers who kept an eye on the coast lines of the US to prevent enemy landings. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The U.S. ALSO had a very comprehensive Home Guard! :shock: A few years ago I was Googling on something to do with the UK Home Guard - manuals I think - and was suprised at the number of AMERCIAN items that showed up!!! I had come across that they were very active in the Oak Ridge area...for obvious reasons!....but it seems the organisation was pretty much country-wide. Far more of a popular militia/Minuteman-type organisation than in the UK though.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Hi John and phylo_roadking

Thank you very much for your answers. I didn't expect such an illuminating response.

Jacky