Operation Goodwood / 23rd Hussars

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

skysurfer

Re: Operation Goodwood / 23rd Hussars

Post by skysurfer »

Bill.

Bit late, just found this site.
Hope you're well, mate.
See my last post. If you want to put anything up there on my dad's site, mail it to me, I'll put it up. Your poem (The Tank Boy) is there.. :D
Best to all,
Pete Brunt
skysurfer

23rd Hussars

Post by skysurfer »

Just updating my website, and it's prety welll settled down, now. I've put up some more images, the booklet Do You Remember? and the Regimental Diary in a few pages. The non fraternisation card seems to be a laugh, these days.
It's at http://www.skysurfer.co.uk/23rd_hussars.html :shock:
Best.
skysurfer

Post by skysurfer »

Attached a report filed at the time by reporter Henry Standish, of the News Chronicle. I've transcribed it, as the document is falling to bits.
billyleblond

Post by billyleblond »

BBR (Black Bull Research) team.

*****CALLING ALL MEMBERS OF OUR GROUP WITH ACCESS TO GENEALOGY SITES*****

We have reached the milestone of locating 200 of the potential 1915 photographs of the Fallen of The 11th Armoured Division.

Always seeking alternative methods of locating more photographs.
Recently, Cheryl Stannard, a supporter of my ongoing project, quickly located 3 photographs, with only limited research time, using one of the major genealogy sites.
She did so by searching for soldiers (hopefully with photographs attached) within existing family trees.

I AM SEEKING GROUP MEMBERS WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO CARRY OUT FURTHER SEARCHES.
PERHAPS YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SEARCH A REGIMENT THAT YOU HAVE A PARTICULAR INTEREST IN?

If you declare an interest to me I could ensure that there is no overlap in the research.

You can work at your own pace, devoting whatever time you can spare. No pressure whatsoever.

The 11th Armoured Division Roll of Honour, compiled by Billy LEBLOND, contains details of all 1915 men who died from D-Day 6-6-1944 to 8-5-1945. Individual Regiments / Battalions / Corps / Squadrons etc can be viewed in date of death order.
The link to the Roll of Honour is https://sites.google.com/view/11th-armo ... -of-honour
With regard to the photographs already found, my latest posts within our group will always carry up to date lists. I split them into 2 groups: Normandy Campaign 6-6-44 to 31-8-44 and post Normandy Campaign 1-9-44 to 8-5-45.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS REQUEST SERIOUSLY AND MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO HELP, DECLARING A PREFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR REGIMENT IF YOU HAVE ONE.

I am very committed to this ongoing project. Photograph No.1 out of the 200 is of my uncle Joseph Alfred Curtis (attached).
77 years after the event I find it very fitting and worthwhile to be able to reveal the human faces behind the statistics, and to ensure that the photographs of these heroes are contained in a collection that can be viewed by all of us.

I HOPE THAT THERE ARE GROUP MEMBERS WHO SHARE MY ENTHUSIASM, AND TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SERIOUS INROADS INTO FINDING THE POTENTIAL 1715 PHOTOGRAPHS NOT YET FOUND.

THANK YOU.
Post FACEBOOK from ROBERT CURTIS on Saturday October 9th
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1273687 ... 3007229188