Beheaded Tankers at Stavelot

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Paul Timms
Supporter

Beheaded Tankers at Stavelot

Post by Paul Timms »

Wierd topic title I know.

I am doing some research for a friend, her mother lived in Stavelot and met some American tankers in the second liberation. Their names were Jimmy Truett and Ernest (Ernie) Bayless. She was told that when they left town they were beheaded by wires strung across the road. Now I know the wire across the road was used but I have never heard of an incident in the Bulge. I have put the names in the American list of the fallen and nothing comes up, I even checked by unit for likely candidates and nothing. She is sure it was Jan 45 so I think CCB of 9th armoured the most likely candidate. I also looked at 112th Infantry Regiment but nothing.

Anyone any ideas or is it just an Urban myth ?

Whilst checking 112th Infantry Regiments (28th Infantry Division) loss records I came across the fact that at least 20 men died (missing or buried at sea) on the 7/8/9 November 1945 (the late date attracted my attention). Has anyone any info on what must have been a heavy loss for a unit 3 months after the end of the war.

Thanks

Paul
Simon H
Associate

Re: Beheaded Tankers at Stavelot

Post by Simon H »

Hello Paul,

Interesting, cannot recall reading or hearing of this anywhere before. I had a quick look through the databases and of course there are several of each with similar names. However this one stands out as a possible link, or just coincidence;

Pvt.Jim R. Truett, ASN:38385717 was a member of 823rd TD Battalion. He is listed as having been killed in March '45, during Rhine crossing. But of course the 823rd were around Stavelot during the Ardennes offensive - so he could be a possible link.

Of course if the 823rd is the link, then they were not "tankers" as the 823rd used towed artillery, not M4's or M10's...

Sorry, probably just more questions than answers now.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Patrick
Enthusiast

Re: Beheaded Tankers at Stavelot

Post by Patrick »

I was a bit unclear about your question: Was it an urban myth that thin wires were strung across roads to decapitate careless drivers? I don't think so. I've read many stories about that and have seen many pictures of jeeps with a vertical bar welded to the front bumper. Of course, it might have been an urban myth back then as well or perhaps it just happened once and suddenly became commonplace in folklore - the same way that every incoming shell was an 88 and every German tank was a Tiger.

Were you looking for further information on the two names you mentioned?

For Jimmy Truett, I looked in the online roster of American WWII dead and have found additional information on the Jim Truett mentioned by a previous poster. I tried looking up Ernest/Ernie Bayless/Bayles/Bayliss and found nothing.

Jim R Truett
Race: White
Religion: Protestant

Cemetery Name: Margraten (Permanent Cemetery), Margraten, Holland
Grave Number: n 14 2
Disposition: According to next of kin

Service Branch: Army
Service Number: 38385717

Perhaps having the graveyard/grave number is of use???

As to the 20 men listed dying in early November 1945 - I can only guess. Perhaps these men were previously listed as MIA and declared dead that day? Perhaps a fire in an Army barracks? The newspaper Stars and Stripes have back issues available for library research. You could look to see if there's any mention of that sort of thing by sending an email to [email protected].
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.