FM Alexander

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Rodger Herbst
Associate

FM Alexander

Post by Rodger Herbst »

We hear about Montgomery and others, but to me a name that is missed to often is FM Earl Alexander I think one of the better British Generals ,his Italian campaign was screwed up by Gen. Mark Clark and his dumb ass move to take Rome. Anybody give me a little history of Alex after the war, a great under rated general, in my opinion.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: FM Alexander

Post by phylo_roadking »

Harold Alexander actually left the Army in 1945 - although he was top of the list for a new CIGS. He was subsequently Governor-General for Canada from 1946 to 192, and oversaw both a very progressive growth time for Canada - handling the confederation fo Newfoundland...as well as managing Canada's support for and fighting in the Korean War. He returned to London in 1952 to become Minister For Defence until 1954, and helped organise the Queen's Coronation in 1953 - he can be seem carrying the Royal Orb in the State Procession on Coronation Day. He retired from politics in 1954, but remained hale and hearty for many years, his time divided between his home here in Ulster and Canada...finally dying from heart/chest problems in 1969.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Rodger and Phylo:
Alexander has always been a favorite of mine, but he could have been, and needed to be, more assertive in command. Had he been so, Mark Clark would not have been able to screw-up the Italian Campaign. That being said, I place the blame totally on Clark's shoulders. Alexander's light-touch worked better when commanding Brits, but less well when commanding "wild colonial boys". Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Hi John, i agree that he should have been more assertive, but i think he didn't want to rock the boat, with Monty on one side and some touchy Americans on the other he was in a somewhat of a bind to satisfy both sides, something like Ike was.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Rodger:
That just about sums it up :wink:
John W. Howard
Royal Navy

Post by Royal Navy »

Another thing about FM Alexander is the fact that had he not interfeared with Churchill on Montys behalf during the early days of Alexander-Montgomerys time in Egypt. Then Montgomery would without doubt been sacked for incompentence. Now Monty were able to work in peace and able to use Auchinleks plan and also managed to gather enough forces to overwhelm the germans. With those forces at disposal, my mother could have beaten Rommel.
Engage the Enemy more closely!
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

True, and the afrika corp were fighting at the end of a long supply chain. Probably best i don't air my views on Rommel on this thread :D :D

My granddad, who was in Italy in the 8th Army liked Alexander as a general, and i think the softly approach always worked well within the British army. As Pop used to say the NCO's ran the army. The officers would say what they wanted done and the Sergeants would plan how to do it properly. I think having two strong willed generals on a campaign under one nominal CO splits command which is never a good idea.
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

Alexander certainly had a glittering career - have recenty finished reading an account of the fighting in the battle of Cambrai in 1917 where Alexander's battallion of Irish Guards took part - he was battallion commander (Lieutenant Colonel) at age 25! By the time the war ended he was an acting Brigadier. A high flier to be sure.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
redcoat
Contributor

Post by redcoat »

Rodger Herbst wrote:We hear about Montgomery and others, but to me a name that is missed to often is FM Earl Alexander I think one of the better British Generals ,his Italian campaign was screwed up by Gen. Mark Clark and his dumb ass move to take Rome. , a great under rated general, in my opinion.
He was alright in North Africa where he covered Monty's back from Churchill, but let him get on with the job. But in Sicily and Italy he proved a weak commander who failed to give his subordinates clear and strong leadership
if in doubt, PANIC !!!!