HMS Fidelity

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Andy H
Associate

HMS Fidelity

Post by Andy H »

Up to the end of 1941. the ship carried out two covert operations in the Mediterranean and a series of complicated landings of agents. On these occasions, the ship would be modified to look like foreign or neutral shipping. In 1942, Fidelity was rearmed with four 4in guns, four 21in torpedo tubes, two aircraft from the French giant submarine Surcouf, a launch and some small landing craft. This was to fit her out as a commando carrier for covert operations in south-east Asia.
Aboard the Fidelity, it was decided to launch the MTB and use it to do an anti-submarine patrol at night.
The Fidelity was carrying two landing craft, HMS LCV-752 and HMS LCV-754
http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/fidelity.html

Hi

Looking for photgraphs and diagrams showing the layout of this ship in terms of its gunnery, TT's and stowage facilities for the MTB and L/C's. I believe that T Commando were designated as to serve aboard this vessel.

Also I believe that the MTB carried was numbered 105, can anyone confirm this?

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: HMS Fidelity

Post by phylo_roadking »

Andy, do you know who were they landing those agents for and where? I can't remember any mention of HMS Fidelity in MRD Foot's SOE, and I know "Force 133", the cover name organisation for the SOE in the Eastern Med, relied pretty much on Brian Cole's gunboat and Greek submarines.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

No nothing myself but found this, which may help. Looks an interesting little site

HMS Fidelity was a French 2,400 ton armed merchantman formerly known as Le Rhin. Her 'Corsican' commander, Lieutenant de Vaisseau Claude Andre Peri had taken her from Marseilles on the signing of the French Armistice and sailed to Gibraltar and then the UK where he turned her over to the Royal Navy. Peri renamed himself 'Jack Langlais' and was given the rank of temporary Lieutenant Commander RN whilst his ship became Fidelity and commissioned for 'special services'. Included in her crew as First Lieutenant was a Belgian doctor named Albert-Marie Guerisse who had changed his name to 'Patrick Albert O'Leary' and also given the temporary rank of Lieutenant Commander RN. Another crew member was Madeleine Gueslin who changed her name to 'Barclay' and was appointed First Officer WRNS, the only woman engaged in active service during the war on a Royal Navy fighting ship.

In 1941, Fidelity was sent to land agents and bring off Polish evaders from southern France. The first operation was 25 April when she landed Egbert H Rizzo, a Maltese civil engineer and Bitner, previously Polish Consul at Toulouse, at Canet Plage. Both men were sent to establish [SIS/SOE] routes out of France across the Pyrenees to Spain. The next night she took part in an aborted operation to embark Polish servicemen from Cerbere and it was then that Pat O'Leary and three other crew members, Fergusson, Rogers and Forde, were left behind and all but NCO Forde subsequently arrested by French officials.

Her last (and possibly only other) successful Mediterranean operation was AUTOGIRO/URCHIN when she landed four SOE agents at Barcarès the night of 19/20 September 1941. Either way, Fidelity was returned to England, re-equipped and armed for work in the Far East. In December 1942, she was travelling with convoy ONS 154 when it was attacked by a submarine wolf pack and on the 29 December Fidelity was finally torpedoed by U435 and lost with all hands off the Azores after picking up survivors from other ships.
http://www.conscript-heroes.com/index.html

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Andy - if not familiar from SOE...certainly familiar from Saturday at MI9 by Airey Neave - or at least the name "Pat O'Leary" is. I'll have to check, because re the "Polish evaders" I'm not aware of any MI9 retreival from the South of France involving a vessel THIS big.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

In 1941, Fidelity was sent to land agents and bring off Polish evaders from southern France. The first operation was 25 April when she landed Egbert H Rizzo, a Maltese civil engineer and Bitner, previously Polish Consul at Toulouse, at Canet Plage. Both men were sent to establish [SIS/SOE] routes out of France across the Pyrenees to Spain. The next night she took part in an aborted operation to embark Polish servicemen from Cerbere and it was then that Pat O'Leary and three other crew members, Fergusson, Rogers and Forde, were left behind and all but NCO Forde subsequently arrested by French officials
I'll have to check out Rizzo and Bitner, neither ar immediately familiar. Nor have I heard of the Polish evaders in a large group - but from THAT point on O'Leary's career is summed up HERE

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafescape/guerisse.htm

This is the part that deals directly with the Fidelity and O'Leary's arrival in France. You'll note the details of THAT bit are different to what you have.
Guérisse was Médecin-Capitaine with a Belgian cavalry regiment during their eighteen day campaign in May 1940. He managed to escape to England through Dunkirk. Unimpressed with the early efforts at setting up a Belgian Government in exile he took up with the crew of a former French ship, the Rhin. This heavily armed merchantman of Marsellais origin had been renamed HMS Fidelity and was serving in the Mediterranean on secret missions.

He secured entry into the British Navy and was commissioned as Lieutenant Commander Patrick Albert O'Leary RN, taking the name of a Canadian friend. He told no-one but the Captain of the Fidelity of his medical background, preferring adventure rather than the duties of an MO.

His entry to the Royal Navy instead of the RNVR followed the precedent set by his friend Peri, Captain of the Fidelity, who adopted the nomme de guerre Langlais. Peri had noticed that the gold lace on his uniform cuffs was wavy, unlike that of other RN Captains.

When told that it was wavy because he was RNVR, being a wartime holder of a temporary commission, he advised their Lordships that neither he nor his ship would fight unless Captain Langlais RN was on the bridge of the Fidelity. The Admiralty compromised by allowing him to wear RN insignia. Peri had also came with a lady friend whom he insisted be part of the crew. Again the Admiralty gave way and she was signed on.

Early on 25th April 1941 two SOE agents were put ashore by skiff from the Fidelity on a beach at Collioure near the Etang de Canet. Returning that night the skiff overturned in a squall:from it Guérisse managed to swim ashore.

Not long afterwards the Fidelity was lost with all hands when torpedoed in the South Atlantic.
Here the TWO stories you have, about the events of the 25th AND the 26th, are telescoped into ONE event on the 25th - one landing party of two SOE agents, no Poles, and O'Leary going overboard. I honestly can't see the Fidelity stooging around the French coast for TWO nights running.... :shock:
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

Well the ships log is still in existence at the NA plus others, amongst them one dealing with discipline onboard. The discipline file also contains details about the board of enquiry set up after the suicide of a French Major Violet!!

Regards

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The SOE element of that voyage should also be in the SOE files at Kew...there was also an official history of MI9 published IIRC in 1947 by Neave and Langley, though I've never turned up a copy.
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Don't know if these help:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 4820.shtml

http://www.gordonmumford.com/ons154-3.htm
I believe that T Commando were designated as to serve aboard this vessel
Confirmed!
A brass plaque naming those members of 40 RM Commando who trained at Chale, and who died on active service in the loss of HMS Fidelity, on 31st December 1942.
http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org. ... ws40rm.htm

waleed