Bill Tennant

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

the tenure is the question
Exactly. In the meantime, Tennant seems to have been a bit of a butterfly, flirting around his social set in London with his tales of mayhem and disorganisation...and Walter Monckton, who he appears to have spoken to at least once - Monckton requiring corroboration of what he had been told - was a relative.

Meanwhile...even though the full Cabinet had voted with Churchill to reject Hitler's peace offer via Mussolini during the Dunkirk evacuation...it seems that Halifax was still manouvering below the surface. There seems to have been a degree of exploration of various peace options with the German Ambassador in Washington by Lord Lothian, the British Ambassador - and on July 20th the German ambassador cabled home for clarification and instructions...

However, by then the British were intercepting and decrypting German diplomatic cyphers, and Churchill was woken to a copy of this cable. He immediately ordered Halifax to order the ambassador to Washington to have no further contact with his german counterpart...AND Churchill cabled Lord Lothian directly with the same edict...

...which means that just days after Halifax was forced to by Cabinet decision to initial stern Foreign Office rejection of German peace feelers from the Papal Nuncio in Berne, Dr. Salazar in Lisbon and the Finnish Prime Minister which were at the heart of the offer via Mussolini...Halifax' man in American was still keeping someone's options open...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

What was the title of the removed book?

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Andy, that's what I can't remember or I'd go looking for a hard copy. When I searched for it before, the link took me into the middle of it and I scanned first back and then forwards. Should have aded to Favourites but didn't :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

....BUT I HAVE found out when I first read through it LOL I had forgotten all about this...

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22106

In fact - scanning through this thread again...the aforementioned David Pounder may be our own "Wdragon" who hasn't been about for a while...I'd love to know what more he has dug up in the interim...