HMAS Sydney Found At Last!

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

HMAS Sydney Found At Last!

Post by Troy Tempest »

On the 19.11.1941, the RAN light cruiser HMAS Sydney was last seen sailing away, heavily burning and low in the bow, after a vicious engagement with the Kriegsmarine raider, HSK Kormoran, about 150 miles off the West Australian coast, in the Indian Ocean. The Kormoran sank, but 300 of her crew survived. The Sydney, however, was never seen again, and all 645 of her crew were lost. Her sinking with all hands represents the greatest ever loss of life in an Australian warship; Sydney was also the largest vessel of any country to be lost with no survivors during the war. It was announced on 16 March, 2008 that the wreckage of the German vessel which sank HMAS Sydney, the auxilliary cruiser HSK Kormoran, had been found on the night of 14 March, 2008. Today, 17 March 2008, the discovery of the wreck of HMAS Sydney herself was announced by Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. The government has stated that both sites will be classified as war graves.
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
Tim
Supporter

Re: HMAS Sydney Found At Last!

Post by Tim »

Fantastic news Troy, one of the most interesting aspects of how the war so far away came to our part of the world. We should see some film fairly soon of the wrecks of both the Kamoran and Sydney, then I hope both vessels and the remains of the crews are left alone.
Kia Kaha!
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little complement.......................

The HMAS Sydney!

Source: http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/fi ... 20copy.jpg

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
A brand new HMAS Sydney....................................
A brand new HMAS Sydney....................................
image008.png (328.82 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.