RAF Regiment

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

RAF Regiment

Post by phylo_roadking »

After the RAF Regiment was formed in 1942 (IIRC?) to defend RAF fields - but also sieze and hold fields...several RAF Regiment squadrons DO have battle honours from WWII, particularly the Middle East and North Africa, but did any RAF Regiment personnel ever see combat 1942-45? Particularly in Italy or later Western Europe? There is some chance they were engaged in Iraq, but IIRC were actually formed as a regiment AFTER the rising there.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Re: RAF Regiment

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

As individuals, a lot of them were posted into the infantry after Normandy. This was to make up losses, and also because the risk to the airfields was deemed to be pretty low by that point.

I don't know about formed units being engaged, but the knowledgeable folk over on e-goat (here: http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156 ) will be able to tell you. I would think it's unlikely.
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
Andy H
Associate

Re: RAF Regiment

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

The following book may help, though obviously it only deals with there activity during the Burma campaign in 1945

Constant Vigilence-The RAF Regiment in the Burma Campaign by Nigel WM Warwick and published by Pen & Sword

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die