Supplying Bataan...

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

Supplying Bataan...

Post by phylo_roadking »

Can anyone point me to a Net resource or article listing/detailing any attempts to run supplies to the beleagured US and Philippino Forces on Bataan before the Surrender? I'm assuming there weren't any "air bridge" attempts, but I could stand to be proved wrong on that too.

Or post any info you have here?

Or to a good standalone history of the conquest of the Philippines, particularly concentrating on the naval and air campaigns...(in english)...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Thanks! I shall work my way through those!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

A few books mentions submarines doing some of the resup and evacs of key personel.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Carl Schwamberger
Contributor

Post by Carl Schwamberger »

Ship of Ghosts by Hornsficher has a couple chapters on the opening months of the Pacific war. There a couple of US heavy artillery battalions are identified as fighting in Dutch Indonesioa. Both were enroute to the Phillipines & diverted south when the decsion was made to withdraw the US Asiatic fleet from the Phillpines.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Thanks for that, Carl, I didn't know that. What happened to them then? Were they pulled out of The Indies before they in turn fell, or...?
Carl Schwamberger
Contributor

Post by Carl Schwamberger »

One battalion was captured on Java when the Dutch surrendered. It first served operating old 75mm antiaircraft guns, then used its 155mm cannon in support of the Dutch against a Japanese landing. The other battalion was diverted yet again to Australia.

The 19th Heavy Bomber Group (remaining B17s from PI) was also based on Java for a month or two, but was withdrawn as its aircraft sortie rate fell below any usefull level.

The survivors of the sunken USN Houston, some other ships crew stranded, and miscl liasions and stragglers were also rounded up by Japan in Java when the Dutch surrendered.