A Spanish Z plan?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Andy H
Associate

A Spanish Z plan?

Post by Andy H »

Forgive me for the use of the phrase Z plan in relation to Spain, but I'm looking for details of Franco's ambitious Fleet building programme, which from what little I have found revolved around building 4 BB's and numerous other vessels.

Regards

Andy H
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Andy H,

From memory, these were to be derivatives of the Italian Vittorio Veneto Class battleships. (I saw this in a book on battleships a couple of years ago in Plymouth Naval Library).

Nothing came of the plan.

Cheers,

Sid.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Andy H,

From memory, these were to be derivatives of the Italian Vittorio Veneto Class battleships. (I saw this in a book on battleships a couple of years ago in Plymouth Naval Library).

Nothing came of the plan.

Cheers,

Sid.
Hi Sid

Thanks for that.

Ironmachine has given some more detail over at
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=131453

The programme was overly ambitious and way beyond the economic ability of Spain at the time.

Regards

Andy H
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Spain hasn't had a decent fleet since 1805...but given the current state of the Andrew, it's probably best for Brits to keep a low profile in that regard :oops:
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Economic....and physical ability; wasn't what was LEFT of the Spanish naval construction industry busy building submarines and light vessels for Turkey immediately before and during WWII?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

phylo_roadking wrote:Economic....and physical ability; wasn't what was LEFT of the Spanish naval construction industry busy building submarines and light vessels for Turkey immediately before and during WWII?
Certainly your right in that Spain was in the process of constructing vessels for Turkey, though as to what % I have no idea.

Regards

sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

The last big foreign order completed before WWII was for Mexico. Virtually the entire Mexican fleet was re-equipped just prior to the outbreak of the civil war. The last Mexican vessel was taken over by the Nationalists while still on the stocks. In WWII these Mexican vessels were re-equipped by the US with American weapons to make them compatible for co-operation with the US Navy.

Cheers,

Sid.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

A Spanish Navy? You've got to be kidding! Spain didn't have the resources or naval yards in 1939 to build a modern battleship.

My very humble opinion is that Spain's best navy, after the Napoleonic era, was what she possessed in 1898. Three good, modern cruisers,a few torpedo boats, one questionable battleship and one Italian cruiser that could have been good had it mounted its main armament.

But the idea of Spain, exhausted by a civil war, building a then modern battleship in 1939 is laughable. Not only did she not have the resources, she didn't have the necessity. In 1898, Spain, at least, had overseas colonies to defend. What did she have in 1939--Tenerife?

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

No, but they DID have a great need of economic and industrial rejunvenation. I agree a full naval rearmament would be beyond their finances AND then industrial capability. but like Korea and the far East - heavy shipbuilding has to start or be kickstarted somewhere. And Franco WAS prepared to spend on industrial rejunvenation - next time one of our European members is driving behind an 18-wheeler with "Montracon" on the mudflaps...you're looking at part of it!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo,

During WWII, however, Spain was economically paralysed and could not even feed itself, let alone undertake major industrialisation.

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

True, but it didn't stop them wishing and planning. Which is the point of the thread.