Allied policy regarding usage of captured german clothing

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

august winter

Allied policy regarding usage of captured german clothing

Post by august winter »

Hi, this might seem like a strange question but I recall seeing a series of photos of british troops burning down buildings in one of the concentration camps in 1945. In the photos is a large group of soldiers watching the proceedings and there are at least 2 brits wearing ss camo winter parkas.

A strange thing for brits to be wearing (although it looks pretty cold in the photos), i presume this kind of activity would have been frowned upon??

any ideas?
raj-rif

Post by raj-rif »

actually this kind of thing happened a lot in the desert war with both sides wearing each other kit, in the desert war bith armies were at the end of a very long supply chain so they often utilised captured equipment,clothing etc and as the luftwaffe clothing was much the same as the british then often they would be used.
" it was proper we should wear eagles upon our shoulders. for only birds could reach the heights we did or visit so many lands"

" JO HUKAM"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

August...what about them being British camoflage Dennison smocks? There was discussion of these before - they weren't actual combat issue for regular toops, as they weren't available in any quantity, though I've seen a short film clip of Commandos wearing them in the hours immedaitely preceeding them crossing the Rhine. But after the war and into late 1945....?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
august winter

Post by august winter »

Hi Phylo, nope definately not denison smocks...

Im a bit of a buff regarding camo uniforms and the brits in the photos im talking about are wearing waffen ss oakleaf pattern reversible winter parkas.

Not too much of a problem wearing them when not in contact with the enemy but could create friendly fire problems when in combat...