6th South African Armoured Car Regiment.

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

David W
Patron

6th South African Armoured Car Regiment.

Post by David W »

Has anyone got a date of arrival for the 6th S.A A/C Reg in N. Africa?

I have a provisional of 12th June 1941.
Thanks. Dave.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this date please?
Thanks. Dave.
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi David,
Do you have an alternative title for them, as I don't find anything refering to them under 6 SA Armoured Car? I do get a reference for 3 SA Armoured Car as the Recce element for 1 SA Inf Div , 7 SA AC for 2 SA Inf Div, 1 SA AC for 3 SA Inf Div and the Natal Mounted Rifles holding the same position for 6 SA Arm Div.
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

David,

I have been looking on and off for this since you posted it. I finally think I found something. Looks like the date you have could be correct. Look at this link:

http://www.ancestry24.co.za/Ancestry24. ... e/military

It says that the 6th SA Arm Car Reg was formed in East Africa at Gilgil by amalgamating the 13th and the 14th SA Arm Car Companies. The 6th SA Arm Car Regiment then sailed from Mombasa for Egypt on 2 June 1941.

Looks like the 4th and the 6th Regiments arrived in Egypt about the same time in June 41: http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paters ... htm#SAACR4

Mark (Indy)
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Thanks Mark.

Hope that Mark's reply helps you John! :D
Thanks. Dave.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

I think that they had 3 squadrons of M/H MkII at that time. an anyone confirm?

They are shown as having MkIII by Gazala, but when exaxtly were they replaced, does anyone know?
Thanks. Dave.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Anyone?
Thanks. Dave.
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

David,

Had you ever heard of the 5th SA Armored Car Regiment? At the ancestory24.co.za website link above I also found the following:

BOLAND, Regiment

Regiment established under the name Regiment Westelike Provinsie in 1934 as one of eight new Afrikaans-medium units of the Active Citizen Force, with headquarters at Worcester, Cape . In September 1940 it became the 12 th Armoured Car Company, which amalgamated with the Regiment Suidwestelike Distrikte to form the 'Fighting Fifth' Armoured Car Regiment which sailed for Egypt on 10 th September 1941 - In North Africa the regiment was disbanded, being used to reinforce other armoured car units.

LANGENHOVEN, Regiment

This Citizen Force unit, with headquarters at Oudtshoorn, stemmed directly from the Regiment Suid-Westelike Distrikte (R.S.W.D.), which was one of the new Afrikaans-medium rural regiments formed in 1934. Its members were drawn from the districts of Oudtshoorn, George, Mossel Bay, Riversdale, Swellendam and Robertson, and during the Second World War it combined with the Regiment Westelike Provinsie to form the 'Fighting Fifth' Armoured Car Regiment, which left for Egypt on 10th September 1941. In North Africa this unit was disbanded and its members were drafted to other front-line units as reinforcements.

I am wondering if the units of the disbanded "Fighting Fifth" helped to form the 6th Regiment?

Mark
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Could be. I had not heard of the fighting fifth.
Thanks. Dave.