Matt B.'s Great Uncle!?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Matt B.
Supporter

Matt B.'s Great Uncle!?

Post by Matt B. »

http://cmstory.org/ww2/display2.asp?id=1124355117

Hey guys, here is a link to my Great Uncle. I have been trying to find more information about his military combat, and/or more details about his death. If, any of you all can point me to a direction, other than that dealing with "National Geographic," ! As far as my family knows, is that he was shot by a sniper shortly after D-Day, by a German sniper.

Sad thing, is that he spent time in Germany, in his youth, and wanted to settle there, after the the War was over. Especially, considersing that he knew German prior to his death.

Cheers,

Matt B..'S
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

Hey guys,
I am guessing, that this question, should have probably been posted on another forum. Sorry for any troubles!

Matt B.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Matt

The 2nd Division was slaughtered in the hedge row battles with particularly high losses among officers.

The bio doesn't say where in France but good guesses would be the Hedgerow battle that led ultimately to the capture of St. Lo. 2nd Div turned over completely in the teeth elements during that period.

They also participated in the bloody battle to take Brest - one of those nasty fights Bradly kept getting his men into for the "prestige" of US arms.

If he was killed in france the odds are good it was in one of those two places.

cheers
Reb
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

Reb,

Thank you for the info! :D

I'll have to do some research about D-Day and his particular unit. You're certainly right about the hedgerows -- apparently the sniper that shot him was hiding out in one. I'm sure those things made good sniper nests, as they appear big and thick from pictures I have seen of them in an article on Normandy/D-Day in the National Geographic a few years back.

Cheers,
Matt B.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Matt, have you dug into actual Army records? If you can get your hands on Daily Reports, and After Action Reports from his regiment or battalion,
it ought to help you narrow down some specifics.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

Tom,

No, I have not searched those documents. Are they accessible as a sort of public record, that might be obtained from a internet database?

I guess, I could always ask some of my older relatives, but most are either dead, or from what I've heard, still very sad about his death and probably don't want to talk about it much, for any purpose (research being mine).

Cheers,
Matt B.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Matt B. wrote:No, I have not searched those documents. Are they accessible as a sort of public record, that might be obtained from a internet database?
No, you'll have to go to the Archives. While I could be mistaken, I think you're relatively close to where they are, though! I don't have the necessary information handy. Give me a couple of days, and I'll see what I can find for you.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Tom

You might want to read the Clay Pigeons of St. Lo by Grover Johns who was a bn commander in 2nd Div.

It should give you a good, down in the trenches look at how it was there.

The men in 2nd Div who lived more than a week or two in the hedgrows had figured out that they were going be casualties - but they stuck to it. Very brave men and you can be proud of your uncle!

cheers
Reb
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

Hey guys:

Reb, I might check out that book you mentioned - hopefully it is at the local library, but I may have to scan Amazon.com for it. Oh, and thank you for the kind words, I am quite proud of my Uncle :D

Tom, if you come across anything that would trully be awesome! And if the archives are within a days drive from where I'm at, I think it would be worth a visit.

Cheers,
Matt B.
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

Hello Matt,

Not sure if you found anymore out yet or not but the 22nd Regiment took a pasting from USAAF fighters that day before an assault on Cherbourg 6/22/44, so they kinda got it from both sides.
Info was in a book called "Utah to Cherbourg" on the army website.

I was reading it a few days ago then today noticed your post while browsing thru topics.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/BOOKS/WWII/u ... Schultz