Did the B-29 ever fly in Europe?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

blackfire
Supporter

Did the B-29 ever fly in Europe?

Post by blackfire »

I read that one did fly during the war over Europe in a test run. Are there any reports of the German reactions to this plane?
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

As far as I know, the B-29 was only used in the Pacific. If one did a test flight or something of that nature, then I would be interested in reading about the experience.

I am fairly certain that no bombing raids were carried out by the B-29 in Europe.
blackfire
Supporter

Post by blackfire »

Sam H. wrote:As far as I know, the B-29 was only used in the Pacific. If one did a test flight or something of that nature, then I would be interested in reading about the experience.
So would I. I did read that the US did fly at least one in an attempt to fool the Germans into thinking that they were going to be used in Europe. I was wondering if the Luftwaffe paid any attension to it.
Wurger
Contributor

B-29's over Europe

Post by Wurger »

I don't think that any B-29's were sent to Europe, even for testing. The first Superfortresses did not start to roll off the production lines until 1943, and the first units equipped with them were not ready to fly combat missions until 1944. By that time the U.S. and British combined bomber force had an overwhelming number of aircraft and a steady supply of replacement aircraft. Given the situation in Europe, the new bombers - with their larger payloads and increased range- were predestined for the Pacific. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the British (who flew the B-29 post-war)received a single aircraft to test until after the conflict with Japan was resolved.

Regards,

Wurger
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Curious, when was the last combat mission flown by a B-29, I beleive that they were used in Korea. Did any last until Vietnam? (perhaps used by the British or some other US ally?
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

There were no B-29's in ETO.......
E
Wurger
Contributor

B-29's over Korea and Vietnam

Post by Wurger »

Yes, the B-29 did see extensive use over Korea as a bombing platform. Apparently, it was also used over Vietnam by the CIA very early in the war, although the details are pretty sketchy. A number of B-29's, and even some B-17's were used to para drop inflitrators/agents into North Vietnam.

Regards,

Wurger
Scott Swindle

Post by Scott Swindle »

The final B-29, a weather recconnaissance version, was retired from USAF service in 1960.
glynngriffith

B29 flights in Europe

Post by glynngriffith »

In response to your question the answer is yes and no. They were not used prior to VE day but did fly postwar with the RAF rechristened as "Washingtons" for a short time. This may be the cause of the 'sighting' of an aircraft of this type.
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

The museum at Wright-Patterson Field in Dayton, Ohio has a B-29 that was used in Vietnam. It was converted to be an aerial tanker. They gave it a new model number though. I'm sure the W-P website can give more details.
Wurger
Contributor

Post-War B-29 Use

Post by Wurger »

The tanker version of the B-29 was given the designation KB-50. Although based on the old B-29 airframe, this aircraft was quite different from the WWII version - upgraded electronics, engines, etc.

Regards,

Wurger